Sponsored by: Intercity Lines, LLC

Question: current drawn. Please read

Search this Thread

Old 05-06-2007, 05:10 AM
rnln
Burning Brakes

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Question: current drawn. Please read

To make sure my new clock (used) current drawn is ok, I use a multimeter to measure the current while the key is off the car.
Setting the meter at 200ma, meter runs between batery and the clock, key is off. My digital meter jumps up and down between 1.6 to 3.9 most of the time. If I wait for a little longer, once in a while I saw it flashed up to 8.00
What does this mean? Why current drawn from my clock is not stable? Are the numbers looked ok?
Thanks.
Old 05-06-2007, 09:23 AM
J. Brinkley
Addict
Rennlist Member

is that a clock only? seperate from the car, or is that the whole car?
8 is good for static draw (overall) i think stock draw for carreras is around 15ma
something else could cause the spikes i don't know how the clock works.
Old 05-06-2007, 11:40 AM
wwest
Drifting

Received 14 Likes on 9 Posts

Your clock does not have a constant current draw, it "winds-up" a spring system every few minutes or so. Current draw duration, period, is so short it cannot be measured without an oscilloscope.
Old 05-06-2007, 05:47 PM
rnln
Burning Brakes

that is the clock only. I installed the clock by connecting it directly to the batery. I measure it by breaking the wire and connecting the multimeter between the batery and the clock.
If you guys think this is ok so maybe 1.6 to 3.9 is when one arm move and 8.00 is when both moved?
Thanks all. All I want to know is if this clock is ok so I can move on to another item, trying to figure out which drains the batery after around 10 days.
Again, thanks.

Quick Reply: Question: current drawn. Please read