Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Intercity Lines, LLC

Rear floor pan mystery!?

Search this Thread

Old 04-18-2007 | 04:15 PM
raikkonen
AutoX

Default Rear floor pan mystery!?

I'm ready to purchase a local 3.2 liter carrera coupe, but after pulling up the rear carpets, I noticed that there's a "bulge" in the rear floor pan. Not only is there one on the driver's side, but behind the passenger seat as well! It would appear as if the rear pans were lowered onto softballs; this is the only way I can accurately describe them. The pans are original, and there is no cracking of the paint or metal, just slight deformation. The car's an '86 w/ 80k or so miles, and the current owner has had it for 11 years. His assumption is an incorrectly placed jack or jacks. He's done several DE's w/ the car and claims it doesn't affect the way it handles. My concern would be regarding the suspension geometry and the way the car tracks out on the road. As he only has storage insurance, I haven't yet driven the car. My question regards what these bulges would be indicative of, and whether or not I should just walk. The car is otherwise immaculate, and excellent mechanically. The owner is also very fastidious, and all panels and paintwork are original. Should I proceed w/ a PPI, or is this an indication of accident damage? Thanks everyone.
Old 04-18-2007 | 06:14 PM
ked
Addict
Rennlist Member

if all else checks out & you want the car, then get a PPI - use someone expert on 911 bodies as well as mechanicals. I would insist on driving the car, your expert too. you could put the car on a frame machine to see if all is in spec. w/ only 80K, could be a keeper - good luck!
Old 04-18-2007 | 06:59 PM
Peter Zimmermann
Rennlist Member

Those dents are common, and don't have a negative effect, other than aesthetics, on anything. They are caused by someone putting the car on a hoist incorrectly, or jacking up the car incorrectly. A heavy mallet and a couple of nice pieces of wood can restore the floor to almost-new condition.

By the way, it looks like you've got your hands full, for now anyway, with your very quick teammate!
Old 04-18-2007 | 07:37 PM
JV911
Drifting

Originally Posted by Peter Zimmermann
A heavy mallet and a couple of nice pieces of wood can restore the floor to almost-new condition.
Just had to do ecactly that to my rear floor pan to get the roll cage in

Quick Reply: Rear floor pan mystery!?