Sponsored by: Intercity Lines, LLC

Best Tranny fluid for an 88 Carrera

Search this Thread

Old 04-18-2007, 10:36 AM
ron mcatee
Rennlist Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Best Tranny fluid for an 88 Carrera

This has been discussed and pondered many times in the past, but I can't find any threads when doing a search.

I changed to Mobil 1 75W90 tranny fluid about 6 years ago. Recently, I have heard that there may be something better on the market, but unsure of what is available. I know the Swepco 201 is for 915's and I want to stay with a synthetic, but would like comments on additional fluids. I can't find the thread where it was recommended to use Mobilube, which is different from Mobil 1. Is redline a good product for the G50? Any comments on suitable products will be appreciated.

Spider911
88 Carrera
Old 04-18-2007, 10:58 AM
BMWDavid
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I did the same searching a while ago for my '89 Carrera. Basically it came down to Royal Purple Max Gear 75W-90 or Mobilube SHC 75W-90. The SHC is no longer available...replaced with Delvac gear oil.

I bought the RP but have not installed it yet. Meanwhile I was at my local NAPA in a pretty rural part of Indiana and what do I see on the shelf...two one gallon jugs of Mobilube SHC! So I bought a jug.

So now its a toss up to which lube to put in. I think at first I will put in the regular stock 75W-90 gear oil at my local shop to sort of flush out the trans. Then I'll drain that and put in one of the lubes I have.

Sorry not to be of more help.

David
Old 04-18-2007, 11:19 AM
KC911
Burning Brakes

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

While Mobil 1 is the G50 choice for many, imo you can't go wrong with Redline, Amsoil, Valvoline, or any of the reputable synthetics. When I first acquired my car, it had none of the typical G50 "notchiness" (is that a word?) when cold that many folks report on these trannys. On my first tranny lube change several years ago, I filled with Mobil 1 (don't know what was in there before/originally...maybe RP?), and the "notchiness" appeared. Although it's not too bad, and exists only for the first time or three through the gear box when cold, I'm ****, and have since tried Redline, and now have Amsoil, but it's still there. I hope I've really cleared things up for you, but I wanted to subscribe to this thread

Keith
'88 CE coupe
Old 04-18-2007, 09:27 PM
GrantG
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 5,114 Likes on 2,881 Posts

Best stuff I've ever used in a G50 is MTL-R from Specialty Formulations. Others I tried include Redline and Mobil 1 (regular synthetic 75W90 and the fancy SHC) Much smoother cold and hot shifting with the MTL-R. Unforunately, they're closed at the moment, hopefully to re-open soon:

http://specialtyformulations.netfirm...products_id=31

Here's the message about their closure (temporary?):
http://specialtyformulations.netfirm...alog/index.php
Old 04-19-2007, 02:49 AM
Diamond Blue
Rennlist Member

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

The Mobilube SHC is available here. Mobilube This is what Porsche uses for the factory fill in the 996 GT3/cup cars. There are several threads on this over on Pelican, just search Mobilube SHC
Old 04-19-2007, 08:28 AM
KC911
Burning Brakes

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I'll have to search the archives on Pelican, thanks! Grant, in your opinion, could you tell a difference between the regular Mobil 1 and the SHC? I'm in no hurry, maybe the MTL-R stuff is the ticket...

Keith
'88 CE coupe
Old 04-19-2007, 12:13 PM
m491driver
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Found a receipt in the glove box of my '87 Targa and it showed that the PO put Swepco 201 in this G50 which I know is not correct. Shifting is a little notchy at first but smooths out once it warms up. I'll see what others say about the best way to go and follow their lead.
Jim

Quick Reply: Best Tranny fluid for an 88 Carrera