911 Forum 1964-1989
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Intercity Lines, LLC

Need advice on potential purchase?

Search this Thread

Old 04-17-2007 | 08:25 PM
schred
Racer

Default Need advice on potential purchase?

Hello all here on this board. I am usually on the 993 section.. I have wanted an older 911 for years and am falling in lust with the 87 turbo listed for sale on this site.. Clean car, recently rebuilt, etc...
I have multiple P cars, but have never owned an older 911. I guess I want one in the stable for the sake of history and just because...
My questions are as follows.
Let me say this first.. I love my 993, and I do have newer , faster cars, but it is my favorite to drive, the smell, the look, the feel, the antique feeling of the whole package just does it for me..
Will I end up driving this car, or will it feel inferior to my 993 in the handling dept.
Will the acceleration of this car be similar, greater or less than my 993?
If I do wind up driving this car much, will my operating costs be similar to all my other P cars?
I know this may seem a bit odd. I have only driven a couple of older 911's and never have driven a Turbo model.
I have always just loved the way these late 80's Turbos looked, and I want it to be a car that begs me to drive it and not just polish and rub on it, while I drive my other cars..
Any imput from this board will be appreciated.
Also, does anyone know this car that I am talking about.. 87 911 Turbo Coupe. It is listed on page 1 of the classifieds here..
Thanks in advance.
Ford
Old 04-17-2007 | 08:29 PM
UberXY
Burning Brakes

I just sold my 76 930 today and went back to an 84 Carrera.

Steve
Old 04-17-2007 | 08:43 PM
Amber Gramps
Addict

just don't use the word "antique" in front of us or the car and all will be well in the world. second gear is going to scare the bajesus out of you. that is the porsche that all other porsche's want to be. I would give you all six of my kids for a ride in that car. $35 sounds reasonable, about the price of an f-150. go for it.

douglas

'88 911 cab ven blue met
Old 04-17-2007 | 08:55 PM
schred
Racer

I have been properly scolded.. Anitque maybe was a little harsh, but I meant it an a good way.. The older cars just do it for me.. I have driven many 996's, no love felt for them as good as they are, and I never drive my 05 BoxsterS ,Wife loves it so it is hers, so I feel that I will drive this car, I guess my real question is, will I love it as much as my 993.. It is hard to find the opportunity drive many of these early Turbo models, Let's face it, you cant just go out and drive several without doing some traveling..Keep the comments coming, please.. I would like to hear from anyone that has had several 911's , and hear their prefferances,
Thanks again.
Old 04-17-2007 | 09:14 PM
911scTarga
Advanced

Originally Posted by UberXY
I just sold my 76 930 today and went back to an 84 Carrera.

Steve
Why did you make the switch? (FWIW, my favorite was my 85 Carrera).

Quick Reply: Need advice on potential purchase?