Sponsored by: Intercity Lines, LLC

Too Cold for an Air-Cooled Engine?

Search this Thread

Old 01-02-2002, 04:18 PM
Dan Rufer
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Post Too Cold for an Air-Cooled Engine?

While most temperature questions deal with trying to cool an air-cooled engine, is there a temperature that is too cool to run one? The outside air temperature this morning (near Philadelphia) was about 20 F. My '87 Carrera does not have a temperature guage with numbers but has various bars. The temperature rose above the bottom thick bar (off the white and onto the black). But it did not go up much more. I maintained relatively low RPMs. But I am wondering if some temperature is just too low? Thanks.
Old 01-02-2002, 06:40 PM
richard glickel.
Drifting

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts
Dan,

Nope, you're fine. Heck, they drive these cars in the Alps.

Richard
'87 Carrera 3.6L

P.S. Wasn't the last week's Eagles-Giants game one of the most exciting games of the year?

P.P.S. I hate you (kidding).
Old 01-02-2002, 07:50 PM
Dan Rufer
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Richard:

While I was born on the West Coast, I am following the Eagles while my wife makes me live out here. With 7 seconds left, I could not believe that the Giants made it down to the four yard line. It would have been a tough way to lose (for the Eagles). And thanks for the information on driving temperatures. I want to drive the car right up until it snows but was not sure about sub-freezing temperatures. Thanks again.
Old 01-02-2002, 09:38 PM
Hladun1
Instructor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I have a 78 SC that I use as a daily driver and I have run in temperatures as low as -25 C (-15 F). Runs fine. I've had to make some mods to my CIS system, but you have EFI so you shouldn't have any problems. The temperature you see is the oil temp and low just means your oil will be more viscous (high oil pressure). If you want to drive in cold weather use synthetic oil.

Quick Reply: Too Cold for an Air-Cooled Engine?