Any PET interpreters out there?

Search this Thread

Old 04-13-2007, 07:38 AM
psychoideas
Drifting

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Any PET interpreters out there?

Hello,
I’m having trouble getting my steering lock to fit. It carries the part number: 964.347.017.0

It seems to be too long from where it attaches to the steering column to where the key hole sticks out through the dash.

I was wondering if there is a different part number for left and right hand drive cars.

My car is right hand drive but I got the lock over the internet and it is from a US car.

My car needs an steering lock for an 1986. Maybe the length of the locks vary between 1986 and the 964 part that I have. I was hoping that the lock I have just carries the latest part number.

Are there any experts out there who would know??
Old 04-21-2007, 03:25 AM
Barry A. Waters
Instructor

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Frank,

I have a PET produced in August of 2004. Your 964 347 017 0 part number does not show 'as is' but here's what I did find looking at the US and ROW (Rest Of World) model #s.

Part# 964 347 917 00 does match for both a US and ROW steering lock & bits for both a '-91' (up to 1991 for a 964(?)) and a '92-' (1992 on for a 964(?)). Could you have miss-read or miss-typed the '017' or '0' portion of the part# you referenced?

If so then we may have identified what you bought. There is no obvious reference to Left Hand Drive (LHD) vs. Right Hand Drive (RHD) on either of the two entries.

As for the 1986 Carrera the part numbers are again the same for both US and ROW but there are four of them. The #s are:

A 911 613 902 01 (note the leading 'A')
911 613 902 02
A 911 613 904 00 (again the leading 'A' and yes, '00' instead of '01'... strange!)
911 613 904 02

I won't go into the differences as you can use the #s to discuss that w/your local Porsche Dealer/Shop but, once again, there's no obvious reference to LHD vs. RHD on the entries so perhaps LHD vs. RHD does not make a difference for this part.

As always, please don't hesitate to contact an authorized dealer (if you haven't already done so) to help sort things out. The cars VIN# will assist them greatly. While you may not choose to purchase the part from them (if they can still get it, I'd bet it's probably pricey!!!) Porsche has always been VERY good in helping the enthusiast get the correct #s.

Good luck and I hope things work out. Sourcing things like this can certainly try your patience! (I have an '86 as well - GREAT cars!)

OZ? Wow! You gotta love the age of 'Modern Communications'. Made it to Oahu late in 2006 and I thought THAT was a long flight. The wife and I dearly hope to pub-hop in OZ in a year or so, so you need to have a couple of brews for us in the interim!

Barry

From DEEP in the woods of Crawfordville, but we DO have Gary Kempton!!!
Old 04-21-2007, 03:48 AM
psychoideas
Drifting

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Hi Barry,
I will take your advice and contact my parts man in Melbourne.
There is a difference between left and right hand cars for this part. Where the lock meets the steering column, the column has a bolt that comes from the bottom and sandwiches the lock extension to the column. There is a dimple in the lock shaft for this bolt to locate in. The bolt is accessable from under the dash and screws "UP" towards the lock.
So.........left hand drive locks have the dimple on the wrong side for right hand drive cars. I know this because the lock must be flipped over to be on the right side of the steering column. As such, the dimple in my lock is accessable only from above. Very tight to get to.

Not only will I have a couple of 'Brews' for you, I'll put some in the fridge so we can share!!

You gotta come visit, we'll make room

Quick Reply: Any PET interpreters out there?