Sponsored by: Intercity Lines, LLC

1969 911 E Sportomatic

Search this Thread

Old 04-12-2007, 09:16 AM
wicofleland
Track Day

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 1969 911 E Sportomatic

I have a 1969 Porsche 911E with a Sportomatic Trans. that I'm thinking of selling. The body of the car is in pretty good condition, aside from the floor boards needing to be replaced, and it needing a new paint job. The motor runs great with only minor oil leaks which is only too common with all older Porsches. It has a new rear main seal, new lower valve cover gaskets, new mechanical fuel pump belt, two new oil return tubes, and some of the wiring has been redone and cleaned up. The trans works great, and the clutch has lots of life left in it. The shifting is a little sloppy but I'm sure it could be fixed with just a couple of new bushings. The car has 79,000 miles on it and to my knowlege it is all origanal. I'm looking for some help on how much I should ask for this car? When I look up the value on the NADA guides website they say that the values range from Low value $13,200. Average value $15,000. and the High value $20,100. I'm wondering how acurate this site is? Could anyone hep me out?
Old 04-12-2007, 09:26 AM
Juan Lopez
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 59 Likes on 37 Posts

IMHO, any of those values is high when you have a car that needs rust work done to it plus a paint job. Doing the rust work (which from experience if you have rusty floor pans you'll most certainly have rust on the battery boxes and longitudinals also ) could run you anywhere from $3K to $8K then a good paint job will tae you back anywhere from $3 to $12K. Before doing anything mechanically to it you are already looking at repairs adding up to the low value that you quote from NADA.

However, I've seen vry high prices for cars like this on ebay ....

Try early911sregistry.org for more info and opinions
Old 04-12-2007, 10:53 AM
SeattlePorsche
Pro

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I think your prices are too low. Rusty floor boards is not the same as rusty panels. Floorboards and front suspension pans are not a big deal.

It is very hard to find an early car that doesn't have alot of rust all over it, so if yours doesn't it is worth quite a bit I think.
Old 04-12-2007, 11:09 AM
Charles Navarro
Rennlist Member

Received 1,201 Likes on 620 Posts

I sold a very clean one owner 70 sporto and had difficulting even getting what I had paid for it, before any money I put into it. You have to find a sportomatic enthusiast, and they are hard to come by.

I think I sold mine for 10,500 if I remember last fall. Needed paint, only rust anywhere was in a head light bucket, just barely. Interior was pretty much like new. Engine was also like new, 1% leakdown and drove like a champ, just serviced with hydro tensioners, rebuilt carbs, new hoses and belts, new brakes and shocks... A long list indeed. I probably lost on the car a good 7k easy and had it for sale and listed everywhere for quite some time, original 90k miles.

If it wasn't a sporto, it would be worth way more sadly.
Old 04-12-2007, 04:44 PM
andrew911
Three Wheelin'

I think the sportomatic hurts the car....especially one that needs "adjustment". Besides the fact that fewer people want an automatic early 911 vs. stick, the sportomatic units can be $$$$ to replace/rebuild
Old 04-13-2007, 08:53 AM
wicofleland
Track Day

Anyone have a clue where I should start for a price? Thanks for the replies.
Old 04-13-2007, 10:04 AM
theiceman
Team Owner

Received 1,160 Likes on 831 Posts

reading Charles' post I would say 7-10K.
Old 04-13-2007, 10:12 AM
mo_gearhead
Instructor

It's difficult for an "outsider" who hasn't even looked at the car in person to give you a price. No one wants to insult you with a "too low" number.

Now you have people that swear BY ebay and those that swear AT ebay, but IMHO it is a great marketplace. If you list the car EXACTLY as it is (all faults included), good photos, fairly represented, you can list it with a low starting price and still include a "Reserve" that doesn't let the car go for less than you will take for it. A lot of these cars are being purchased by people in Europe lately and you WILL need a broader audience for a Sportomatic car.
Old 04-13-2007, 11:22 AM
SeattlePorsche
Pro

Is it possible to convert a sporto into a manual? If possible, I would think the hard part is getting the shift linkage just right. A friend of mine locally Darrell is redoing a 912 completely and the center tunnel looks like a simple enclosure.

Ask the earlySregistry.org board. They talk about all the old cars. Or give John Walker in Seattle a call. He is a pro mechanic and in the phone book. Good luck!
Old 04-13-2007, 04:57 PM
Charles Navarro
Rennlist Member

Received 1,201 Likes on 620 Posts

My sporto ended up going to Europe.

I had my car listed for the $12,500 I paid for it (I thought I got a good deal) and had no interest. Took a while, but someone was interested at $10,500. I would imagine for your car you should expect about the same for yours. I'm not sure if the cost of the conversion will be worth it. I cut my losses and moved on.

I'm happy with the 964 that replaced it.
Old 04-13-2007, 06:37 PM
Peter Zimmermann
Rennlist Member

Received 15 Likes on 13 Posts

Conversion is accomplished by finding a period correct 5-speed with mounts, which is getting more difficult, along with a flywheel, clutch assembly whether it be a 2.0L or 2.2L (the clutch must be mated to the trans), a pedal assembly, shift tower, clutch cable and a few odds and ends. There is absolutely no difficulty setting up the shifter, cables or throttle linkage, all adjustments conform to the typical early car. The engine and trans must be removed, then all of the Sporto components removed, including the pedals, shifter, vacuum control devices, etc. Then assembly must be done using your collection of replacement parts. I've done a few of these and they turn out very good, the big question mark is the 5-speed, its history, etc. Although the difficulty factor is higher, an early 915 can be used, but you should really stay with a 7:31 ring & pinion. Conversion cost, typically, can be anywhere in the $4K - $8K range - again, everything depends on the trans selected. Also, keep in mind that the CV joints must match your replacement trans, so you might have to buy a pair of axles.
Pete

Quick Reply: 1969 911 E Sportomatic