Search this Thread

Old 04-08-2007, 10:51 PM
UberScheitzer
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Looking for assistance...

Hi!
My father and I own a 1974 911 (at S specs) which we have been working on slowly for the past three-four years. We purchased the car in excellent condition, but the brakes were never up to par. The car had the aluminum club calipers so a couple years ago we started a project to replace the entire brake system with newer A calipers, master cylinder, rotors, pads, the full retrofit. When finishing the brakes we decided it was time to test it out and finally get it out on the road again, so we threw the battery charger on, and charged it for awhile. We were surprised to find that the car would not turn over, as the car ran fine a couple years ago when it was previously running. We tried checking the battery, even had the charger on it while we tried to turn over the motor. Checked battery terminal connections, checked all the spark plug and ignition connections (plugs, wires, and MSD ignition system was all replaced about 1000 miles ago), and checked fuses. When turning the key it sounds like it wants to turn over, and was really close to doing so, but never made it.

Here are our current thoughts as to what might be causing the motor to not crank:

1. Bad gas
2. Gas leak (could not smell gas)
3. Bad seal around injector lines
4. Bad gas pump

If anyone has any other ideas as to what we might try, I'd really appreciate it.

Thanks!
Jason

Last edited by UberScheitzer; 05-13-2007 at 10:55 PM.
Old 04-08-2007, 10:56 PM
theiceman
Team Owner

Received 1,120 Likes on 802 Posts

Okay first lets get some clarification. Sounds like your car IS cranking , or turning over, sounds like it is just not firing, to crank , or turn over means that the starter motor is spinning the gear ring and turning the crank. It sounds like the ignition is not firing the gas in the cylinders .. is this correct ?

If it is, it sounds like fuel starvation , try taking a spare plug , putting it in one of the sockets and grounding it to the engine, then turn over the car and see if you have a blue spark, if you do then it is gas.

Last edited by theiceman; 04-08-2007 at 11:49 PM.
Old 04-08-2007, 11:22 PM
Loaded
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Id bet fuel after two years id bet bad fuel has botched some lines injectors etc. Cant leave raw fuel alone for two years
Old 04-09-2007, 10:18 AM
mo_gearhead
Instructor

I think we need clarification on the term "turning over". To me, if an engine wont "turn over" it means the starter is NOT engaging/spinning the engine. Is that the problem? Or do you mean, it is indeed cranking/spinning the engine ...but just will not "start"? Two separate issues.
Old 05-13-2007, 10:53 PM
UberScheitzer
Addict
Rennlist Member

Yes, my apologies. I meant to say that the car is cranking, but not firing. I will try the spark plug trick to see if we are getting a spark then check the gas and injectors.

Jason
Old 05-13-2007, 11:36 PM
SeattlePorsche
Pro

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Yup, fuel unless you put that Stabil in it 2 years ago. I would empty the tank, then drain out the fuel filter (and fuel accumulator if a 74 has one) with the fuel pump on. Then try it again. I bet it will go!

Quick Reply: Looking for assistance...