Oil Pressure Sender Replacement

Search this Thread

Old 04-06-2007, 04:21 PM
84_Carrera
Legacy Flounder
Rennlist Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Oil Pressure Sender Replacement

Ok, I ordered a new Oil Temp Sender, but Pelican had erroneously sent me the Oil Pressure Sender. The way my brain works... I'm already in there to install the Temp Sender which arrived today, and have the Pressure Sender, why deal with an RMA - replace it pre-emptively.

Looks like the only way I'm getting that out is with a 24mm crowfoot... Bentley & 101 Projects give no insight (Bentley - "remove sender", gee, thanks). Anyone got any feedback on that? Engine's in the car, no plans to remove until clutch / trans rebuild somewhere down the line. Of course, no one locally has a 24mm CF socket, and the largest I have is 19mm. So, I'm off to get a 22mm & grind it open to size. FYI, 24mm as pulled from new sender.

Also, the new Temp Sender doesn't have the nail-head style connector, it's a standard spade-type terminal, which makes the existing push-on connector interfere with the front engine plate. Insight on that also?

Thanks folks.
Old 04-06-2007, 06:36 PM
84_Carrera
Legacy Flounder
Rennlist Member

After replacing both senders, the pressure seems a little lower than normal (was hitting 4-5 bar at cold startup, was 3-4 bar today, approx 36-40 deg F ambient).

After about 10 minutes warm-up, oil was down a qt as expected, added, and the temp was where it is shown - exactly where it was prior to the new sender being installed. Last year, the dealer's "PPI" lookover on the car indicated temp "inop". Well, it's always "op'd", just to the scale you see. On warmer weather (50-60 deg ambient), the scale will read up to the next hashmark - currently have 10-40 Kendall in there for the winter months.

Feedback?

BTW, made my own "crowfoot" out of a 24mm wrench. Had to whittle it down on the bench grinder to allow it to turn & be removed. Not a lot of room in there.
Old 04-06-2007, 06:38 PM
theiceman
Team Owner

Received 1,111 Likes on 794 Posts

I think you just have to rotate the sender around a little when putting it in so the connector can fit. I think the compresion washer will allow for that .

I have an SC so I HAVE to remove the engine to replace the pressure sender. Not sure about your model though , personally I would throw it on the shelf, Murphys theory being if you have one ready , yours will never leak ( which is the usual failure mode ).

Also one other curious question Fred.

how long is the sensor area . is it like an inch or a quarter inch ? also did you upgrade to the numbered temp guage?

just wondering.
Old 04-06-2007, 06:49 PM
84_Carrera
Legacy Flounder
Rennlist Member

Ice -
It's pretty long, 1" or so (temp).

Kept the stock gauge, ordered the stock sender (per Pelican).

Temp: 911-606-112-00
Press: 911-606-135-00
Old 04-06-2007, 07:32 PM
theiceman
Team Owner

Received 1,111 Likes on 794 Posts

ah

your temps soound about right actually. My temp guage on days you speak of hardly ever went higher than the first quadrant. Only on hotter days 75-85 ambient in stop and go traffic would I see it really move into the second quadrant.

I updated to the numbered guage but think Ihave the wrong sender in for it , but relatively speaking it is fine.

Quick Reply: Oil Pressure Sender Replacement