Sponsored by: Intercity Lines, LLC

Repair jobs/fix you are embarrassed of.

Search this Thread

Old 04-04-2007, 06:23 PM
Loaded
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Repair jobs/fix you are embarrassed of.

Two come to mind

My cruise went out on my Jeep and used a string tied to the throttle routed out of the hoo through the winglet and tied to my light switch dash all this to get hummer while driving.

Used a plastic jug to gravity feed fuel on my 70 road runner to get it home after the BARN FIND.
Old 04-04-2007, 07:30 PM
GothingNC
Drifting

Received 51 Likes on 31 Posts

I had an alternator belt snap on my 1969 AMC Javilon many years ago on Long Island around midnight.

Found another Javilon nearby with a good belt

Accelerator cable snapped in my 75 bug on Staten Island, piece of wire on the side of the highway helped me make it to Wash DC & back, then I found the spare cable behind the back seat after I got home

John
Old 04-04-2007, 07:47 PM
Ed Hughes
Rennlist Member

Received 79 Likes on 53 Posts

And this is 911 related, how??
Old 04-04-2007, 08:37 PM
Bob Kontak
AutoX

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I have heard that you are as sick as your secrets. To purge myself of the poisons, I offer this tasty tidbit. One story also relates to a 911 to appease Ed. I hope the movie is as good as his fiery face looks.

In the early days of owning my 81SC (1996) I was playing with lifting the sensor plate with the ignition on but the motor off to check injector spray patterns. I filled the cylinders up with fuel and experienced hydrolock where the cylinders could not compress the fuel. I had not a clue what was wrong. I talked to some professionals and they told me the mistake I had made. On their (Engine builders Supply) suggestion, I pulled the plugs, removed the distributor cap and wires to avoid sparks, rotated the engine to force the gas out, pulled the exhaust completely off, drained off the quart of gas inside the pipes and changed the oil.

Two days of time learning the hard way, including the unnecessary starter replacement.

In the way-back I rebuilt a 390 "Go-pack" AMX engine and was showing off to a girlfriend before the engine was broken in. Spun the rod bearings. Another two days of downtime but the price was about $36 for the set of bearings. That will buy you one intake valve for a 3.0 motor.

I feel so free now.
Old 04-04-2007, 08:46 PM
Loaded
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Ed Hughes
And this is 911 related, how??
I am certain there are some 911 related repairs
Old 04-04-2007, 08:52 PM
Amber Gramps
Addict

Received 12 Likes on 12 Posts

I once used a can of wd40 to get my employers van off the freeway when we ran it out of gas. I sat there 'till he had walked a mile down the road and then ripped the cover and air filter off and fired it up. (i was a latch key kid without a father, i learned it early)

someday I will tell you about steelin' vw's and porsche's from the local baja bug builder when I was 10. Shhhh, next time, not now. ok....we used alot of gravity.

douglas
Old 04-04-2007, 09:01 PM
theiceman
Team Owner

Received 1,111 Likes on 794 Posts

any one experienced this story ?
Old 04-04-2007, 09:03 PM
Amber Gramps
Addict

I once broke a can in six places...
Old 04-04-2007, 09:04 PM
Amber Gramps
Addict

correction: cam
Old 04-04-2007, 09:40 PM
bgiere
Rennlist Member

Received 51 Likes on 42 Posts

Over 10 years ago I broke a gear shift lever. I took a section of black gas pipe and some JB Weld and stuck them together....Still working today on my old tractor!
Old 04-06-2007, 08:02 AM
redtdi96
Instructor

Porsches don't break if you take care of them, that's why there are no stories! (at least an SC)
Old 04-06-2007, 09:30 AM
JES1680
Instructor

Changed cap and rotor on my 78 SC. Got the cap on askew. Started, ran, destroyed the rotor. My dist didn't have the plastic protective cover over the star shaped pickup point wheel under the rotor. Much time with needle nose pliers, the old cap and rotor later she ran great. Actually smother and somehow cured my wandering idle issue as well. I ordered a salvaged dist but the car ran better with my "modified" one.
Old 04-06-2007, 09:48 AM
butzip
Burning Brakes

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts

Driving home from Talledega grand prix track in Alabama, my fuel pump kept shorting out and blowing the fuse. The fuel pump shared the fuse with my oil pressure gauge so the following scenario would happen: driving along happily, oil pressure gauge would flat line (fuse blown) meant I had until the carbs ran out of fuel to find a place to pull over and change the fuse. Now mind you, it was dark and I had a fist full of fuses. I was convinced I had enough fuses to get me home so I could correctly find and fix the actual problem. Eventually, I ran out of fuses 50 miles from home and resorted to wrapping a blown fuse in gum wrapper foil!!! I actually worked!!! What's that about desperate men?? I chewed a life time of gum on that trip.......... and my then girlfriend was duely impressed with my McGyver-ness :-)
Old 04-06-2007, 01:05 PM
Edgy01
Poseur
Rennlist Member

Received 235 Likes on 128 Posts

Not really a story of me doing something stupid or bad but worth telling to help others from running into this problem.

My 1977 911S was about a year old at the time and it just wasn't holding a charge. The local dealership (under warrranty) wasn't really 911 savy and they eventually ordered a new voltage regulator for the car. It wasn't checked out before it was installed. It wound up OVER charging the system! The part was put in just before I was on a fairly lonmg one-way trip away from the area where I got the new voltage regulartor (Biloxi, MS). While driving to OKC from Mississippi, I kept smelling sulfar smells. The battery was literally cooking from being overcharged by the alternator (faulty voltage regulator). I wound up disconnecting the electrical lead that was on the panel on the left side of the engine periodically as I continued to drive north. I would then drive the car until I felt the battery was getting low and then plug it back in again to the alternator. Drove it again until I felt the battery was starting to overcharge again. Then, disconnected it again. Was able to nurse the car home this way for the last 300 miles.

At the OKC dealership I insisted on a new voltage regulator (the first one they got in was also faulty) and a completely new battery and a complete flushing and cleaning of the trunk due to all that battery acid floating around as fumes in there. They complied. In those days (1978) they apparently got in a bad bunch of voltage regulators. They should be checked before installation for proper output,--a bit over 12 volts. Peter probably knows the value.
Old 04-06-2007, 01:11 PM
theiceman
Team Owner

Received 1,111 Likes on 794 Posts

Mine runs at about 13.5 or so. At least on the 78s you walk round back and pop it out .. later models it becomes a whole new story

Quick Reply: Repair jobs/fix you are embarrassed of.