Sponsored by: Intercity Lines, LLC

Power seat / leather problems 87 911

Search this Thread

Old 11-10-2002, 06:36 PM
chuck bernstein
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Thumbs down Power seat / leather problems 87 911

I just got my 87 911 cab today. I just discovered that certain seat adjustments don't work. Thr driver's side seat doesn't recline backwards and the passenger seat doesn't go backwards. Everything else works. What is usually the cause of these problems? What parts can i replace or fix ? Also I found a split in the seat cushion along the seam. How can I repair that? Thank you.
Old 11-10-2002, 08:45 PM
MikeF
Instructor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Probably caused by a bad power seat switch on the side of your seat. With cabs and targas, it only takes getting caught in the rain once or twice for water to damage the POS power seat switches. Fortunately, they're easy to replace and not too expensive.
Old 11-11-2002, 11:43 AM
craig001
Drifting

Received 72 Likes on 55 Posts
Arrow

For the Power Seats not working, did you first check to make sure all the connectors were tight? On the 928 I had, the PO told me that the seats didn't work. When I got home and went under the seat, the one of the connectors, wasn't hooked up, duh-oo. If everything is hooked up, I would check the fuses and after that, swap the switch with one that you know works. If the switch is bad hit eBay. They usually show up around $27 or so.

As far as the seam split, pull the seat and take it to an upholstery shop. They'll pull the cover and stitch it up from below.
Old 11-11-2002, 03:10 PM
KLehmann
Instructor

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Since you have to take the switch out anyway (if it is in fact connected/has power), you can open up the switch to clean it. The electrical contacts within the switch get boogered up and all that's necessary is to clean off the contact surfaces and apply some dielectric grease to prevent this problem from re-occuring.

Quick Reply: Power seat / leather problems 87 911