Sponsored by: Intercity Lines, LLC

Is it really worth that much?!?!?!?!?

Search this Thread

Old 03-30-2007, 01:03 AM
Dan Cobb
The Ancient One
Rennlist Lifetime Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question Is it really worth that much?!?!?!?!?

I saw what I am told is a factory slant-nose turbo cab (88.5/89) at a car lot in Van Nuys the other day. The guy claims it is the 'real deal', & the front fenders are metal with a good fit. He claims it is worth about $75,000 in average condition.
I think he might have spent too many days in the hot valley sun.

I just can't see them going for that much $$. is he even close or is he whacked?
+++
Old 03-30-2007, 01:20 AM
fixnprsh
Burning Brakes

Received 3 Likes on 1 Post

he is whacked by the valley sun is my guess, Slant nose cars, people either love 'em or hate 'em, I hate 'em, they IMO ruin the classic lines of a fine sports car into another tacky fad of the 80's like stupid ties, hair doo's and shoulder pads. They look very dated where a 911 normaly looks timeless.

However, the car still is rare if it is an actual, factual slantnose Turbo, cab, with a 5 spd, they didn't make that many of those, so Rare it is, but it doesn't make it valuable, lots of rare things are only worth what someone is willing to pay, and usually there is an *** for every seat. Since a slantnose turbo cab from 89 is probably one of 50 world wide, its hard to establish a value on something like that. My guess is that car will be for sale for a long time at that price, I would say in excellent condition, that car might be worth $40-45K TOPS
Old 03-30-2007, 09:00 AM
shaynes
Burning Brakes

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

If that car has less than 10k miles, and it perfection 75 is not an issue, but once you go beyond the 10k and into any wear at all, the price drops dramatically.
Old 03-30-2007, 01:22 PM
Amber Gramps
Addict

Received 12 Likes on 12 Posts

Didn't we just go over this last month? I love the slant nose, not $75,000 kinda love, but notheing says "I run drugs" like a slope. It's the car you park in the entry way or front room where the piano once sat.

Douglas

'88 911 cab ven blue met
Old 03-30-2007, 02:02 PM
srf506
Three Wheelin'

Check the option codes for a 505, that's the factory option for a slant. Anything else is just a replica. I atually like the slant nose for what it was originally designed for, a low-drag Mulsanne Straight screamer, but I like the "standard" nose too. That settles it, I should have one of each!
Old 03-30-2007, 03:36 PM
vinoviva
Intermediate

Unless this is a verified M505 car with bulletproof documentation and very low miles--anything north of $50K is a total pipe dream. In fact it may not bring that if it is verified but showing normal wear for the miles. This car would have to be virtually concourse to bring $75K. I know, I've owned three.
Old 03-31-2007, 02:25 PM
Dan Cobb
The Ancient One
Rennlist Lifetime Member

It wasn't even close to concourse condition. The paint was average at best and the interior showed a good amount of wear and sun-related fade.
I'd guess it to have WAY more than 10K miles too. The other thing that really bothered me about it was the funky set of aftermarket wheels. They were some sort of billett aluminum hot-rot inspired swoopy things that would be far better placed on a Boyd Coddington ride with shaved door handles and frenched-in antenna or the 32 Eliminator from the ZZ top album cover than a performance car like a turbo cab 911.
+++
Old 04-01-2007, 03:56 AM
Chuck Jones
Drifting

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I've only seen one factory slant go for $75K...and that was an frame off restoration at Barrett-Jackson. I've seen others go for $45K to $65K depending upon condition (must be pristine to get top dollar) and low mileage. Usually the high dollar ones have mileage in the 25K-35K range or lower. If that 89 is a slant...then srf506 is right...look at the option code sticker...should show M505 designation. There are also a number of other basic indicators to look for. There are a lot of conversions out there, and a lot of guys think they have a factory slant, but they don't. In average condition you're probably looking at $30-35K provided the engine and tranny are ok...definitely not the $75K the guy is "attempting" to ask....kuz that's all it will be is an attempt.

Quick Reply: Is it really worth that much?!?!?!?!?