Notices
911 Forum 1964-1989
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Intercity Lines, LLC

Pulled a mis-shift @ the track-tech sessions in DFW coming up! Fri or Sat 4/6 or 4/7?

Search this Thread

Old 03-29-2007, 12:06 AM
Ed Hughes
Rennlist Member

Received 80 Likes on 54 Posts
Default Pulled a mis-shift @ the track-tech sessions in DFW coming up! Fri or Sat 4/6 or 4/7?

We had a special one day DE @ MSR with Patrick Long as our lead instructor as well as some of the more accomplished racers locally. Cup Cars outnumbered us "civilians" I think. It was an awesome event!

Except:

One lap after setting a personal best time on the 1.7 mile layout, I pulled the tranny into 2nd from 3rd, instead of 4th. I think I toasted valves in all 6 cylinders, but I'll know more when I get into the disassembly. I'm looking at the brightside, and am going to treat this as a learning experience, and a chance to make a good engine even better. I've been contacted by several people showing interest in participating in the engine drop at least, so they can see how one goes.

I'm going to shoot for dropping the engine next Friday 4/6 (Good Friday) or Saturday 4/7. A lot of people have Friday off, so I thought I'd float that one out there to see if it works. I've got a scissors lift and an ATV lift, so this should actually be a pretty simple drop, all hydraulically assisted. Let me know if you're interested and we'll see what we can set up.
Old 03-29-2007, 06:47 AM
Daniel Dudley
Rennlist Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Wish I could be there Ed.

Any idea what mods you are planning ? Not that it is an engine mod, but I keep thinking a wevo shifter is in my future. The 915 pattern just isn't second nature to me, I fall back to thirty years of italian habits. So far OK, but you have me thinking ...

Glad you are making lemonade.
Old 03-29-2007, 08:30 AM
Ed Hughes
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Daniel Dudley
Wish I could be there Ed.

Any idea what mods you are planning ? Not that it is an engine mod, but I keep thinking a wevo shifter is in my future. The 915 pattern just isn't second nature to me, I fall back to thirty years of italian habits. So far OK, but you have me thinking ...

Glad you are making lemonade.
Not yet, I've got a spreadsheet started with the must-dos (ARP rod bolts, check/recondition rods, gaskets, rings, items to check out, etc), but until I get into it and see what is good and what is bad, I won't know the whole picture.

I'll probably stay fairly mild and just get the compression bump from resurfacing the heads and most likely a cam grind, as well as looking at extrude honing the intake and such. The main focus is to build a strong engine that will be a little more resistant to an over-rev.

A 3.6 transplant isn't totally out of the question, depending on the numbers I work up on a rebuild..
Old 03-29-2007, 09:03 AM
gunlover05
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Unhappy

Is this a common occurance (misshift)? I have to admit even on semi-spirited street driving I've done the same, but usually just end up "blipping" the redline. I can imagine on a DE or AX where you are running hard at higher RPMs, you end up staying in the "red" much longer before you realize it, which I suppose does "bad stuff"...
Old 03-29-2007, 09:24 AM
Ed Hughes
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by gunlover05
Is this a common occurance (misshift)? I have to admit even on semi-spirited street driving I've done the same, but usually just end up "blipping" the redline. I can imagine on a DE or AX where you are running hard at higher RPMs, you end up staying in the "red" much longer before you realize it, which I suppose does "bad stuff"...
Common occurance at the track. Nothing to do with staying in the red, technically, the limiter is there to avoid issues there if you don't keep your eye on the Tach and shift at the proper time. In fact, I'm getting to where I shift at about 6000-6200, which is where the engine stops making HP, my rev limiter is at 6800, so I'm good there.

What does happen, is grabbing the wrong gear on an upshift or a downshift. In my case, I was passing a car, and was getting over to motion a GT3 Cup Car by, and lost concentration when I was shifting from 3rd gear. In traffic at speed, and I goofed up. Went to second instead of 4th, and had a severe overrev. I caught it pretty quick, but I'm sure the motor saw the high 7,000's RPMS, at least. The valve springs can't keep up, and the valves stay open when they shouldn't, and a piston comes up and says "hi".

The other thing is the stock rod bolts probably got stretched, as the pistons travelling at that speed put a lot of strain on the connecting rods.

It seems that many guys racing or tracking their cars regularly experience this at least once in their travels, if not more.

I've never done this on the street, nor at the track with a number of days put in. I felt like a moron at first, but I'm in VERY GOOD company with this mishap. Now, to make the best of it....
Old 03-29-2007, 09:44 AM
gbailey911
Instructor

Default Money Shift

A friend of mine did the same thing at a Fall DE and has named the incident a "Money Shift". He just completed the repairs and is still ironing out some issues.

Good luck and keep us posted on your progress!
Old 03-29-2007, 09:59 AM
Ed Hughes
Rennlist Member

Yes, the term money shift is often used.

I mentioned that to my wife the other night, she didn't like the joke.
Old 03-29-2007, 11:25 AM
Chuck Harmon
Racer

Ed,
I might suggest you have a look at www.911chips.com
see what others are doing and getting out of a 3.2
I did the extrudehone plentums, bored throttle body to my 3.2
I had EBS do my heads and bore the throttlebody and flow match
my injectors, did the Fabspeed exhaust with the Steve Wong chip.
My mechanic is in Austin, he builds track cars. Have you seen the 72
multicolored 911 ? it is a Peter Max poster looking track car. That is
one of his. Sorry to hear about your car, we had two 911's bend
valves two weekends ago at Texas World Speedway. Race season is
getting off to a rough start !
Chuck
Old 03-29-2007, 11:41 AM
Ed Hughes
Rennlist Member

Chuck:

Thanks, I've got it Steve W chipped and have headers on it already. I've followed a lot of Carrera rebuilds and upgrades the last few years as well.

I say I'm going to stay "mild" in that I'm not willing to invest in stuff like 3.4 Ps&Cs and twin plugging at this point in time.
Old 03-29-2007, 12:49 PM
SeanR
Rennlist Member

Received 500 Likes on 267 Posts

Ouch,

If you need an extra set of hands, let me know. I owe you some help and would gladly assist.
Old 03-29-2007, 01:49 PM
Ed Hughes
Rennlist Member

Any help is appreciated...The drop won't be bad, the hardest part will be lifting the motor up on to the stand.
Old 03-29-2007, 02:17 PM
Loaded
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Yes I will be there
Old 03-29-2007, 03:18 PM
cmoss

and the pistons come up and say hi...

Old 03-29-2007, 03:25 PM
GG Allin
Rennlist Member

Received 16 Likes on 14 Posts

Over on the BMW boards they call that a money shift.
Old 03-29-2007, 04:50 PM
Edgy01
Poseur
Rennlist Member

Received 235 Likes on 128 Posts

Practice makes (nearly) perfect!

Quick Reply: Pulled a mis-shift @ the track-tech sessions in DFW coming up! Fri or Sat 4/6 or 4/7?