Sponsored by: Intercity Lines, LLC

Installing Electronic ignition & MSD

Search this Thread

Old 03-26-2007, 12:05 AM
LaughaC
Burning Brakes

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Installing Electronic ignition & MSD

I failed the first time I tried to replace my points with an electronic ignition conversion kit from Pelican Parts.

Can someone send me photos to help me make sure I attach the wires correctly?

Once that is in, I also need the same kind of details for replacing my Pertronix box with an MSD I purchased. I currently use a rotor with a rev-limiter, which will become part of the MSD's job if I ever get the wiring correct.

Thanks,
Old 03-26-2007, 12:17 AM
smshirk
Three Wheelin'

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Hey Chris, how is it going. I had an MSD in my old 82 SC , but it was there when I got it.. I finally diod end up with another 911, I bought an 80 Weissach edition that need quite a bit of work. You can check my other posts for pictures.

Steve
Old 03-26-2007, 12:30 AM
loosecannon
Advanced

Read my post on the topic of MSD in my 1980 911SC. I can tell you what color wire goes where on an SC but on an earlier car it should be as straightforward as reading the MSD instructions.https://rennlist.com/forums/showthre...&highlight=msd
Old 03-26-2007, 08:00 PM
rentadate
Instructor

I second loosecannon. Just follow the directions and you will be fine. If you get the wires reversed, you WILL know by the way it drives. Just reverse the wires and it will work fine. After you are done you are going to need to get the engine timing redone. The CIS tends to do wierd things until you do get it. Also if you have the regular coil (blue or black) it will work just fine. Save some $.
Old 05-02-2007, 11:46 PM
LaughaC
Burning Brakes

Pertronix is now installed. Had to bypass the Permatune box to get fire to the + side of the coil.

Can someone convince me that the MSD is really going to improve performance or gas mileage?
Old 05-03-2007, 12:02 PM
rentadate
Instructor

I have it in my SC motor. It made it run a little harder and faster. Started getting bout +2MPG depending on my driving habits of that tank. It feels a little harder when it drives. It is a lot more reliable than the permatune box. I'll get pictures Tomorrow and post them up because I used an old cutting board that I had laying around to mount it to the original place. You don't even need the "MSD Blaster" coil. The plain blue or brown one that came with the car works just fine.
Old 05-05-2007, 11:47 AM
LaughaC
Burning Brakes

Thans! It sounds like the MSD pays for itself in gas mileage and/or performance on these CIS cars. Replacing the points with Pertronix has already smoothed the idle and almost eliminates 5000+ RPM stumbles.

Will remove the now unused Permatune box and try to mount MSD box in that area.

Quick Reply: Installing Electronic ignition & MSD