Sponsored by: Intercity Lines, LLC

3.2 Twin-plug

Search this Thread

Old 11-16-2001, 12:19 PM
BlueMax
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question 3.2 Twin-plug

In another thread Steve Weinert states that the 3.2 engines are relatively easy to convert to twin-plug. Since my motor will in the near future require rebuild I've considered this alternative. I understand that twin-plug allows higer compression due to the shorther flame path(s). Specifically, my questions are:
1. What is a reasonable compression ratio for a street/auto-X, DE;
2. What are the approximate costs (parts, labor, machine work).
Any info from any member who has done this will be appreciated. Also, whay sort of power did anyone get at the flywheel after conversion.

Thanks

Paul
Old 11-16-2001, 01:13 PM
Steve Weiner-Rennsport Systems
RL Technical Advisor

Received 64 Likes on 48 Posts
Originally posted by BlueMax:
<STRONG>In another thread Steve Weinert states that the 3.2 engines are relatively easy to convert to twin-plug. Since my motor will in the near future require rebuild I've considered this alternative. I understand that twin-plug allows higer compression due to the shorther flame path(s). Specifically, my questions are:
1. What is a reasonable compression ratio for a street/auto-X, DE;
2. What are the approximate costs (parts, labor, machine work).
Any info from any member who has done this will be appreciated. Also, whay sort of power did anyone get at the flywheel after conversion.

Thanks

Paul</STRONG>
Hi Paul:

May I address a few of your questions,......

1) With twin-ignition, you may use up to 10.5:1 on pump premium.

2) You will need to have your heads and lower valve covers machined ($ 375), a good used 964 distributor, ($450), the Andial Motronic splitter unit ($ 595), a plug wire harness and a good used Motronic coil. You should also install a set of lower plug hold-down clips.

Figure a 6-10% more power, depending upon final compression ratio, but an amazing increase in smoothness, throttle response and overall drivability. Those things do not measure well in inertial dyno tests.
Old 11-16-2001, 07:00 PM
BlueMax
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Steve,

Thanks for the quick reply. I'm home from the office today to pursue some Porsche matters :-) I agree about driveability issues that a dyno does not show. My plans for the car are some moderate power enhancements with corresponding weight reduction. The car has to remain streetable.
How availabe are the twin-plug conversion parts (distributor and splitter)? What/how is/does the splitter function

Perhaps in the future I'll buy a tub for a true race car (wish).

Paul
Old 11-17-2001, 02:15 PM
Chris Bennet
Addict
Rennlist
Lifetime Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
I went the 3.4L twin plug route and it was/is fun but proably not cost effective compared to swapping in a 3.6 motor IMO.
-Chris
Old 11-17-2001, 03:16 PM
Steve Weiner-Rennsport Systems
RL Technical Advisor

Received 64 Likes on 48 Posts
Originally posted by BlueMax:
<STRONG>Steve,

Thanks for the quick reply. I'm home from the office today to pursue some Porsche matters :-) I agree about driveability issues that a dyno does not show. My plans for the car are some moderate power enhancements with corresponding weight reduction. The car has to remain streetable.
How availabe are the twin-plug conversion parts (distributor and splitter)? What/how is/does the splitter function

Perhaps in the future I'll buy a tub for a true race car (wish).

Paul</STRONG>
Hi Paul:

The componentry is readily available, no problem. One can find good used 964 distributors and we rebuild them here with new belts, etc, all the time.

The Motronic splitter unit divides the trigger signal from the distributor and provides the power to the second coil that fires the lower plugs.

Quick Reply: 3.2 Twin-plug