Sponsored by: Intercity Lines, LLC

brey krause strut bar

Search this Thread

Old 11-16-2001, 08:46 AM
tyler
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Post brey krause strut bar

has anyone used it on their pre '89 911? worth the money, or any strut bar for that matter...was reading bruce anderson's book and he wrote that it didn't do much for the torsion bar cars

thanks for any info
tyler
Old 11-16-2001, 02:11 PM
Jim Michaels
Rennlist Member

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Well, I know better than to disagree with Bruce. When I bought my '88 it didn't have one, but I bought one on the recommendation of my mechanic. I tracked with it on, but had to remove it to run autox in A Stock. I couldn't tell any difference, but some people have reported that it made a very noticable difference on their cars. Maybe these are the same people who report a 20 hp gain with a louder exhaust. I don't remember ever seeing a report of lap times with and without strut bar. The current wisdom seems to be that it may help some, and certainly won't hurt. For those who have accepted the strut bar as a worthwhile enhancement, the usual question is which bar is better.
Old 11-16-2001, 02:44 PM
Stephen Masraum
Racer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I've wondered about this myself. I understand that according to BA the shock towers pull apart under hard cornering conditions, and that unless you are running slicks (or I would assume something else REALLY sticky) you don't generate enough force to pull them apart. I guess to test the theory if someone were to string a thin, brittle wire between the two shock towers and then run an autocross or take a couple of hard turns and then see if the wire is stretched or broken. That might demonstrate, of course tire selection, alignment, etc... would play a part in this, but it might be an interesting test.
I've even heard of using a strut brace with threaded ends to get more neg camber at the front by prestressing the rod.

Quick Reply: brey krause strut bar