Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Intercity Lines, LLC

Idling Problem

Search this Thread

Old 03-12-2007 | 01:39 PM
arbeitm
Burning Brakes

Default Idling Problem

I've searched a bit, but most of what I am seeing are cold start problems. Here's my situation:

When the car is cold, it will start and then idle high (around 2,500 or so) for about a minute and then the idle will level out to normal. This all I'm sure is normal.

However, after the car is warm (like after a long drive) the next time I start it, it will idle high again for a minute and then when the idle comes down, it will gradually come down to be close to stalling. It may also hestitate a few times when taking off.

Once I drive in the upper RPM's for a little bit the problem goes away.

Any ideas?
Old 03-12-2007 | 04:47 PM
Peter Zimmermann
Rennlist Member

If we're talking about the '83 SC, your one minute fast idle, at 2500 rpm, is absolutely not normal. Neither is a tendency to stall after a warm start. There are any number of things that could be wrong, but I would start by checking/setting the CO% to factory spec. Depending on what you find determines what you should do next.
Pete
Old 03-12-2007 | 08:59 PM
arbeitm
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by Peter Zimmermann
If we're talking about the '83 SC, your one minute fast idle, at 2500 rpm, is absolutely not normal. Neither is a tendency to stall after a warm start. There are any number of things that could be wrong, but I would start by checking/setting the CO% to factory spec. Depending on what you find determines what you should do next.
Pete
Actually, 2,500 was a typo. It should have been 1,500.

Is it not normal for the engine to run at a little bit higher RPM when it is first turned on from a cold start? And then come down to normal idle.
Old 03-12-2007 | 10:35 PM
Loaded
Addict
Rennlist Member

One small word of advice Run a concentrated amount of Techron through her atleast twice then diagnose the issue. Be sure to run her had when you run those tanks through her

Quick Reply: Idling Problem