Sponsored by: Intercity Lines, LLC

H4's installed - questions

Search this Thread

Old 03-07-2007, 11:28 PM
v8_ranch
Burning Brakes

Received 9 Likes on 5 Posts
Default H4's installed - questions

OK, I bought a set of OEM euro H4's and installed them today. They came off an 85 euro cab. My car is an 83 cab (us). The question I have is about the attachment of the deco trim (outer) rings. There is a "stud" that looks to attach the inside ring assy and serve as the threaded part for the final screw that holds on outer ring. I cannot seem to get this to screw in right. I struggled for about 30 minutes tis afternoon. No dice. I could just be a complete idiot, or not... The first picture below show the screw in question. I just used my original ring retaining screws to fasten just the inside rings on for now, until I can figure this out. Anyone else had this trouble before with the euro H4's with deco rings? Also, anyone got a couple of these special fasteners, as I think I may be missing one. The last 4 pictures are before and after's. Please excuse as the car is way dirty. Been a busy week. Honestly, the car looks a little wierd to me with these H4's on. I think it might be the wheels... who knows. Just struck me a bit funny this afternoon that after all that, they didn't just smack me with enthusiasm!
Old 03-08-2007, 12:19 AM
rgrimm
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Had a difficult time with the H4s on my '84. One side went in right away (so I thought it would be easy--ha!. The other side I tried, tried again, and again...). It can be hard to "pop" the lights in to place so the retaining screw threads correctly. I remember taking a flashlight and shining it through the hole to convince myself the light was really in its place.

Even so, the screw is another story. Did you try and thread the screw without the headlight in place? Try it so you know the screw is the correct one, but also make a mental note of the angle of the screw to the body of the car as it begins to screw in.

Pelican should have both the inner and outer screws.
Old 03-08-2007, 02:00 AM
Edgy01
Poseur
Rennlist Member

Received 235 Likes on 128 Posts

Your problems are not unique. What I suggest is that you pull out your tap and die kit and find the right size for the photographed part and work it in there, and for the screw, clean up its threads as well. Many times these things are screwed up by someone who doesn't know what they are doing and they get easily cross-threaded. It's very easy to do with the pictured screw as well if you don't get the H4s aligned just right to the body. Sometimes a nice long narrow awl can be inserted to make sure the headlights are in the right position before you put the screw in. Sometimes it looks off when you put it in,--and then you're going to be off when you start to try to put the trim ring on and secure it next. You're smart to ask the questions here before you screw it up. (that's a joke).

Good luck!

Quick Reply: H4's installed - questions