Sponsored by: Intercity Lines, LLC

msd ignition questions

Search this Thread

Old 03-02-2007, 09:05 PM
Bretech
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default msd ignition questions

my 74 911 has a carburated 2.2L and often i have trouble starting the car up due to NO SPARK. i've have a stock ignition box(the one with cooling fins) and the little fuse box that is inside the left of the engine compartment seems be the cause of my problems. I have had it with this unreliable setup and i now want to install an MSD 6al with a matching MSD coil. Does anyone have a write up for this set up?
Old 03-02-2007, 09:39 PM
Steve Weiner-Rennsport Systems
RL Technical Advisor

Received 64 Likes on 48 Posts

Hi:

Its very easy to install the MSD in your car, with mounting the CD box being the hardest part of the whole project,..

The instructions provided by MSD is very good for these cars but you really need to make sure that your distributor and its internals are in excellent shape. Worn/chafed wires and bad grounds make for intermittent starting no matter what ignition source you use. MSD's are VERY demanding about good grounds.
Old 03-03-2007, 11:50 AM
Lorenfb
Race Car

Received 61 Likes on 54 Posts

"I have had it with this unreliable setup"

What???

The Porsche Bosch OEM CDI is very reliable. The MSD is a waste of money and makes for an
UGLY "original looking" Porsche, i.e. a Porsche waiting for a Chevy engine install.

Besides, the no spark condition may be the result of; bad points, bad coil, no 12 volts to
the CDI, bad coil wire, & etc.
Old 03-03-2007, 05:20 PM
rentadate
Instructor

I have an MSD ignition. It works great. You just need the stock coil and the stock rotor. You really don't need the MSD unit.

You will know if the ignition isn't hooked up correctly because it runs like ****. But that means you just reverse the wires into the unit. and it will run wierd. But that is normal.

Make sure when you are done you adjust the idle. there is a tendency to run high when warm for some reason.

you will enjoy it because I haven't had a problem with mine yet. I've had it for about a year and a half now. No problems with spark. If you get a unit without directions or anything, I can make a copy for you and mail it etc...

If you want some ideas on how to place it in your engine bay I'll provide what I did. I left mine in the original mounting place of the last unit using a plastic cutting board, a drill, and a small saw. I'll take pics if you want. PM if you want them.

-nick
Old 03-03-2007, 05:21 PM
rentadate
Instructor

BTW when i said runs wierd, I am referring to the idle. Sorry if that didn't come out right.
Old 03-05-2007, 06:07 PM
Bretech
Instructor

thanks for the replies.
Loren you were right about not enough voltage going to the box. What I meant by UNRELIABLE SETUP is the $20 3 Fuse box in the engine compartment. I replaced it and my problems seem to have gone away for now. The car has started everytime, has been idling nice, and i haven't had a single backfire. Still I'm interested in an MSD setup for many reasons. Thanks for your comments everyone. I feel a lot more confident in doing the install myself.

Quick Reply: msd ignition questions