Adding A/C to a 69-73 911?

Search this Thread

Old 02-23-2007, 05:55 PM
cwrm4
Rennlist Member

Received 24 Likes on 18 Posts
Default Adding A/C to a 69-73 911?

Hello -

Since you can never have too many cars, I've been considering a 69-73.5 911 as a restoration project. However, I live in Houston, Texas, where a/c is a near must year round if you want to avoid sweaty back syndrome. I already have a TR6 without A/C, and the lack of A/C does limit the enjoyment/usability of the car. If I pour a lot of time/money into another car restoration, I want to be able to drive it out to a nice Saturday night dinner occasionally.

So, that said, I'm curious about the effort and components required to install A/C into a LWB 911T/E/S. I've seen them with the original factory/dealer-installed A/C systems, but those have looked quite clunky and I know never really worked well. But A/C technology has come a long way since, so I'm looking for info on what solutions are out there today (and that integrate somewhat seamlessly into the car's interior). Any info would be most appreciated.

Thanks,

Will
Old 02-23-2007, 06:06 PM
Wachuko
Professor of Pending Projects
Rennlist Member

Received 23 Likes on 22 Posts

How about going the other way around... getting a 964 and turn it into a pristine 73 look alike?? Best of all worlds...
Old 02-23-2007, 08:49 PM
William S
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Give Ron at Rennaire a call (830-237-3156), he installed the A/C system in my friend's '73E and it works amazingly well.
Old 02-23-2007, 09:51 PM
JackOlsen
Race Car

Received 62 Likes on 48 Posts

There's a few things you can do. One is to replace the early dash with a later one with the center vent and side vents (I think the Carreras had the imroved side vents, and the 964 might have been the first with ths center fent). You can update to a more modern compressor, and then -- most importantly -- add more condensor area. It makes sense to retain the front condenser if the car came with factory AC, and it makes to weld in the sheet metal to accommodate the condenser and fan if the car didn't come with it. On top of that, add either a big underbelly condenser (Performance Aire in Anaheim makes it) or the Griffith's rear driver side fender condenser. Also replace the old non-barrier hoses with the modern barrier type.

I recently removed the aftermarket pieces (installed four years ago) from my 72 track car. If you're looking for some of the components, I've got them to sell.
Old 02-25-2007, 11:06 AM
bmcallister
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Carreras have the center vent. My AC is stock but rather limited in its capacity. I live in NC so it does get pretty hot here. What I've found is that it works okay as long as I do not let the car get really hot inside to begin with. It just does not have the capacity to cool it down once the inside temp gets over 100.

Good luck.

Quick Reply: Adding A/C to a 69-73 911?