Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Intercity Lines, LLC

'89 tune up items DONE! (except 1)

Search this Thread

Old 02-18-2007, 09:16 AM
dshepp806
Rennlist Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default '89 tune up items DONE! (except 1)

Firstly, kudos to the BEST group out there! This forum is priceless!!

Just finsished up the tune-up items for my newly (11/2006) acquired '89 S.A. Coupe. Success, failure and "side-tracked"...all rolled up into one!!!

She rx'd the following:

Beru ignition wires, distributor cap/rotor/dust cover, air filter, coil (and wire), all new belts, fuel filter and spark plugs (5). My problem last weekend was #1 cylinder's plug NOT wanting to come out. WAY to much resistance. Attempted various approaches, all of which were provided by this group,..with no success. Looks like we'll have to further our plug#1 endeavor later....(sleepless nights?)
In any case she's running so much smoother with fresh copper in the path!!

We finished up yesterday with the oil/filter change, with Mobile One 5/50,...10.5 quarts. My son-in-law is a master Toyota tech (dealer) who has provided me use of bay #6 to complete my jobs,...lproviding any mechanical oversight (he's the mechanic,..I'm the engineer...I know the difference!!) As he was not busy for a bit,..he stepped over to assist. I had removed the oil tank plug,..she was draining,..I then stepped up to the front of the car to inspect a few things while he stepped toward the rear to remove the crankcase bolt. I glanced towards him, as he's removing the bolt,..the bolt comes out THEN NOTHING for about 2 seconds. All of a sudden , I see a few parts come out then oil....WHAT???????
After walking back to the area, I realize that he has removed the bolt for the main oil pressure relief valve!!! Out comes the spring, valve, small tube,......This was quickly reassembled and placed together...on to the PROPER bolt to finsh the oil change.

Question: Do any of you guys remove this bolt AT ALL to drain oil? Is is something to stay away from? A good bit of oil came out from this location but I HAD NO INTENTION of this being touched and was frazzled to know that it had been removed. All seems ok now......please comfort me in saying that this is no big deal (that is, assuming it was put back together properly: which it was..)

Everything was carefully torqued upon reassembly...lots of cleaning underneath. Looks like we're on our way for the valve adjustments and gaskets next weekend..mixture adjustment, too. THEN back to the dreaded #1 plug challenge.

Thanks in advance for all observations! You guys are the BEST!!

Doyle

Quick Reply: '89 tune up items DONE! (except 1)