Search this Thread

Old 02-12-2007, 02:56 AM
Whitt944
Always Wears Protection
Rennlist Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Opinion wanted

http://honolulu.craigslist.org/oah/car/275240825.html

Does this look like a good deal? I am not real interested, but I am interested.

If I did become real interested, what areas of concern should I have and ask about?
Old 02-12-2007, 03:36 AM
Droops83
Three Wheelin'

Received 76 Likes on 64 Posts

Hmmm, looks interesting. You would definitely want to get it checked out of course, these early 911s like to rust, even if they look pretty on the outside. I assume that since you are considering it that you don't mind the fact that it's a Sportomatic. Make sure you drive it to see if you like it. Personally I am not a huge Sporto fan, we work on a few still (back in the day my shop was known for Sporto to 5 spd conversions!), and I think it feels funny to be driving an early 911 w/ only 2 pedals. My left foot is constantly stomping the floor where there's no pedal! The torque converter is pretty loose, and allows you to be a pretty lazy driver, you can keep it in 2nd gear all the time around town. They are real nice if you constantly drive in heavy traffic, but who would do that in one of these cars anyway? Parts are relatively rare and expensive as well. But if you like the idea of the Sporto, or want to convert t to 5 spd, sounds like a good deal if the car is in decent shape. But I am wondering if the relatively low price is due to the fact that it's a Sporto or if it needs work (or both!). Check it out and let us know!

---Chris A.
Old 02-12-2007, 03:43 AM
Whitt944
Always Wears Protection
Rennlist Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

It has been posted for a long time ( at least six months ), and the price has finally settled out at this.

" Parts are relatively rare and expensive as well " This sentence just made me WAY less interested in it. I don't know what Sportomatic is, but it doesn't sound desirable now. Thanks for the reply!!
Old 02-12-2007, 06:55 AM
Daniel Dudley
Rennlist Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I like sticks ! I also like 911s. A different animal than a 944 though. Might be time to get Pete's book, and do check out the top post. I'm not sure there is such a thing as a cheap Porsche, but 911s are a very user friendly car, as long as the body and engine are good. They are the two expensive items to put right. I wouldn't want a sportomatic, esp. if it needed service, but I am a big SC fan. Solid bodies, reliable, affordable and fun. Quicker than a NA , but 944s are also wonderful cars, and I have had several. If you have any PCA events in your area, maybe you could catch a ride in some other P cars. Have fun.

Quick Reply: Opinion wanted