Question on Age vs Milage

Search this Thread

Old 02-10-2007, 01:52 AM
bjzorn
Canadian Yankee
Rennlist Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Question on Age vs Milage

So as I start looking at 911's I am wanting to get a low milage(80-100K) car. But then I got to thinking that well low milage cars have nicer paint/interior etc. thy do have some down falls like seals dry out etc. But high milager(100K+) have there own problems too. like worn streering, bushings, interiors etc. This car will be my only car and therefore DD. So I don't know wat to do. My S2 is/Was a DD for years and has 170K on it. but very good paint, And like new Interior with no rips, dash cracks etc. So I am going to get a 911 in similar condition but I am worried that getting a babied never tracked, driven 2 days a week car, maay have some hidden problems after the trip to pick it up. So what should I do find a low milage car or a higher Mileage(100K+) car?

brandon J
Old 02-10-2007, 07:13 AM
Daniel Dudley
Rennlist Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Whatever the mileage is, you want a well maintained car. The engine is the most expensive part of the car to have fixed, so you want a good one of those. A PPI is crucial, and Pete Zimmermans book is a good read, and will make you feel better about your search.

You need to drive a few 911s, to get a feel for the cars. If you find one you like, put down a deposit and get a PPI. It is easy to get sucked in by a beautiful car. Don't do it. And do read the posts at the top of the page. They will answer most of your questions. There is a 911 out there for you. LOL
Old 02-10-2007, 12:39 PM
bjzorn
Canadian Yankee
Rennlist Member

I used to work at a P-car dealer and have driven quite a few older 911's I really like teh SC's I like the way the sound and the way they feel. I know I want one with all the upgrades already done. Chain Tensioners, Pop-valve, turbo ties etc. I know about the problem with the 2.7's but I have seen a few nice ones with rebuild motors. But I am kinda leary as I don't know if the Headstuds where replaced in them. Yeah I am taking my time and I will find the ones that right for me. Its going to be my 25th b-day present to me. So I figure I have 11.5 months to look for one. so no need to rush

Brandon J
Old 02-10-2007, 05:04 PM
Jay H
Drifting

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

Buying a Porsche that is out of it's factory warranty is always a crapshoot on whether or not you're going to have to put some money into it.

I've read many stories about seemingly 'perfect' cars then having issues after the car has been brought home. The key is to be prepared for the worst on these things and have an idea what stuff will cost should it need replacement. If you have a budget of $15,000 and spend then entire $15k on a car with no reserve left, can you financially handle a $2500 clutch replacement?

I bought a very nice '84 last May sight unseen that was supposed to be in excellent condition. It was. However, I dumped $4000 into it within months to get it really sorted out and perfect. All these cars need something. Everything can be fixed with money.

It seems you know your way around Porsche just a bit from your current car and past experiences. I bet you already know how a good 911 feels and how a poor one feels. Don't worry about the mileage too much. Find one that was well cared for, used regularily (even 50 miles a month keeps stuff going and not all dried out) and maintained well. Do the PPI like the other guys here suggest, be prepared to spend some money on the car after you buy it and you'll be fine.

If the thought of spending $1000 to $4000 on a 20+ year old performance car for regular maintenance or repairs after you buy it scares you, then maybe an old 911 is not for you. However, being a Porsche owner already and most likely experiencing what it's like to keep an older, high mileage car on the road as a daily driver, I think you'll do fine with 911 ownership.

Best of luck,

Jay
90 964, 84 3.2
Old 02-10-2007, 05:12 PM
bjzorn
Canadian Yankee
Rennlist Member

I am hoping to find a nice SC for around 11-13 grand and use the whats left over as my "Porsche Fund" 1000 on maintance per year. As far as mileage thats what I was worried about was finding a Garage queen trhat was never driven. But if they drive them atleast 50 miles per year then I guess that would be okay. I have a lead on a nice 82 SC targa with 80K original miles that I might take a closer look at. Its in Seattle and is John Walker Serviced so I know no expense is spared in Upkeep..

Brandon J

Quick Reply: Question on Age vs Milage