Sponsored by: Intercity Lines, LLC

need advice on second porsche

Search this Thread

Old 02-09-2007, 05:41 PM
svb
Racer

Received 6 Likes on 3 Posts
Default need advice on second porsche

Well not really....its a 94 500e...but I figured since Porsche helped MB build this car it would be ok to say that. I recently moved to SoCal and sold my winter beater so I'm in the market for a daily driver to join my 85 911.

Anyone have any experience with the W124 E500/500E in terms of reliability, running costs, etc. This isn't the actual car but its identical to this one. One owner 66k miles.

Last edited by svb; 02-11-2007 at 11:59 AM.
Old 02-09-2007, 05:53 PM
2002M3Drew
Burning Brakes

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Love them! 500E's rock. That platform is said to be one of the very finest that MB has ever built. Like the BMW 528e's they end up often in the hands of mechanics or mechanically inclined people that drive them forever. The 500 V8 is awesome.
Old 02-09-2007, 06:14 PM
panchosouth
Rennlist Member

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Heres my two cents.
I picked the one below up from the original owner in California. All files from new. 67K on the odo. Perfect. and I mean almost as-new condition. The guy is my hero. he loved this car and it shows. And I can tell you from almost two years of owning it, it is by far one of the best sorted cars I have ever owned. The combo of mercedes and porsche is amazing. Kind of like a striper bar without the guilt.
This car is a blast to drive, it goes like you-know-what out of a goose, the beasty is a total sleeper, and it shows when you suck the paint off just about anything on the road:
325 HP and 350 TQ. 94 is the last year imported, (1027 imported from 92-94) although I did see a euro advertised (95) in cali. Mr. RUF is a big fan of the E500 and keeps one in his stable.
Mine has the lic. plate deleted in front and also Euro headlights, which to me make the front end with the flared wheels really pop.
I say run, dont walk, and run it thru a MB dealer. If it checks out okay, snap it up. You will NOT be unhappy with this car. (although the trac.control cannot be disabled which is a bit of a pain, but you are mostly happy its there)
let me know if I can be of any help.
Best of luck
Frank
Attached Images   
Old 02-09-2007, 08:02 PM
svb
Racer

Originally Posted by panchosouth
Heres my two cents.
I picked the one below up from the original owner in California. All files from new. 67K on the odo. Perfect. and I mean almost as-new condition. The guy is my hero. he loved this car and it shows. And I can tell you from almost two years of owning it, it is by far one of the best sorted cars I have ever owned. The combo of mercedes and porsche is amazing. Kind of like a striper bar without the guilt.
This car is a blast to drive, it goes like you-know-what out of a goose, the beasty is a total sleeper, and it shows when you suck the paint off just about anything on the road:
325 HP and 350 TQ. 94 is the last year imported, (1027 imported from 92-94) although I did see a euro advertised (95) in cali. Mr. RUF is a big fan of the E500 and keeps one in his stable.
Mine has the lic. plate deleted in front and also Euro headlights, which to me make the front end with the flared wheels really pop.
I say run, dont walk, and run it thru a MB dealer. If it checks out okay, snap it up. You will NOT be unhappy with this car. (although the trac.control cannot be disabled which is a bit of a pain, but you are mostly happy its there)
let me know if I can be of any help.
Best of luck
Frank
WOW what an absolute beauty. The car is almost identical to the one I am buying i.e. mileage, california car. Yours appears to be a charcoal black which is very sexy...mine will be jet black.

I'm getting it PPI'd by both a benz dealer and an independent shop. If everything checks out I'll own it by Tuesday. Wish me luck and THANKS for the post. I was hoping for a fellow 500E owner on rennlist!

And sorry for the OT post guys...its just that I trust the advice I get here more than any other board...and I appreciate the moderators not booting my post immediately!
Old 02-09-2007, 09:18 PM
panchosouth
Rennlist Member

svb
love black on a car. Cant bring myself to change the 'hammer's' color.
God luck with your hammer's PPI
I can't think of any problem areas, just the usual "did they take care of it" look-see.
Best of luck, send shots when she hits the driveway!
Frank
Old 02-09-2007, 09:41 PM
2002M3Drew
Burning Brakes

How much are they going for these days?
Old 02-09-2007, 09:57 PM
panchosouth
Rennlist Member

drew
The guy I purchased from actually agreed to drive the car to Scottsdale and meet me there...it save me 7% on the sales tax end....I paid 23k flight etc, call it 24K I think I paid cheap money. I wouldnt let her go for less than 28. But, I must repeat, this car was maintained by someone who loved it and it had zero issues.
Frank
Old 02-09-2007, 10:59 PM
svb
Racer

drew
The guy I purchased from actually agreed to drive the car to Scottsdale and meet me there...it save me 7% on the sales tax end....I paid 23k flight etc, call it 24K I think I paid cheap money. I wouldnt let her go for less than 28. But, I must repeat, this car was maintained by someone who loved it and it had zero issues.
Frank

Yeah I'm looking at 25k. Original owner all books and records...blah blah blah Car is mint....just need the PPI
Old 02-09-2007, 11:08 PM
panchosouth
Rennlist Member

svb
That sounds like fair money. I think you will love it. However, and I can't stress this enough, as I almost cashed my chips in about a week after buy it....this thing is scary fast. It goes from 0 to holy **** in no time. Thank god for the Porsche brakes. I missed the brake point on a curve that Im no stranger to, and I had my foot so far into it (brakes)( I was doing about 110 going into a 80 corner) that I thought I was going to Fred Flintstone it. And honestly, I was really not hot ******* it, the car just gets fast ....fast. The car is very forgiving IMO, however it does not let you forget that youre supposed to pay attenion. That being said, I look for you burning up the road when I pass thru your neck of the woods!
Old 02-09-2007, 11:14 PM
svb
Racer

svb
That sounds like fair money. I think you will love it. However, and I can't stress this enough, as I almost cashed my chips in about a week after buy it....this thing is scary fast. It goes from 0 to holy **** in no time. Thank god for the Porsche brakes. I missed the brake point on a curve that Im no stranger to, and I had my foot so far into it (brakes)( I was doing about 110 going into a 80 corner) that I thought I was going to Fred Flintstone it. And honestly, I was really not hot ******* it, the car just gets fast ....fast. The car is very forgiving IMO, however it does not let you forget that youre supposed to pay attenion. That being said, I look for you burning up the road when I pass thru your neck of the woods!
sounds good....I'll take it easy at first.

Congrats on your car...its a real find....these cars are very hard to find low mileage....mine was not advertised and I just learned through word of mouth...its got the chrome wheels also....I noticed tirerack has some staggered amg wheels on closeout for this car
Old 02-17-2007, 01:28 AM
Cannoli
Instructor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Congrats SVB ... I've owned my 1992 500E since 2002 ... it's been the most reliable car I've owned. And let me tell you, it is such a Sleeper ... the Velvet Hammer.

Enjoy.
Old 02-17-2007, 04:11 AM
Steve Weiner-Rennsport Systems
RL Technical Advisor

Received 64 Likes on 48 Posts

Awesome, awesome cars and the W124 is one of THE best platforms that M-B ever made.
Old 02-17-2007, 11:16 AM
Svaha
Pro

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Not a 500E, but we've put over 300,000 miles on the combo of an '86 560SEL and an '88 300E. No rebuilds, original transmissions, one time the water pump went out on the 560SEL. That's absolutely all that has had to be replaced besides consumables in a combined 40 years of ownership. It's absolutely ridiculous. They are near the end of their careers now, and worthless for resale, but we still keep them around just because they have been so dependable, well-made and still work whenever called upon. Makes my 993 look like an insufferable, whiny little bitch. Which it is, but it's part of why I love her so. I can't say enough about these era Mercedes. If it has not been harshly mistreated, you can't go wrong.
Enjoy the drive,
Mark
Old 02-17-2007, 01:38 PM
2002M3Drew
Burning Brakes

I think my two favorite M-Bs have to be the venerable 6.9 (450 SEL 6.9), and this one, the W124 500E. Both are timeless IMO, built beautifully, and strong performers well after their "time." Man, I wish I had a ten car garage sometimes....

Quick Reply: need advice on second porsche