Sponsored by: Intercity Lines, LLC

Question about convertibles

Search this Thread

Old 02-09-2007, 11:18 AM
kick7ca
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Question about convertibles

I'm begining to look for an air cooled 911 and am noticing more convertibles for sale than coupes. What's the rigidity of the convertibles like? Do they feel at all sloppy relative to a coupe? Also, how are the tops for sound and temp insulation?

Cheers
Old 02-09-2007, 01:00 PM
Loaded
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Here is what I can answer.

I have driven coupe and cab but not so much of the coupe to be able to let you know the diff.

I can say the cab seem very rigid to me.

Noise? you have to be kidding its a cab you hear lots of stuff.

Temp. still comes through
Old 02-09-2007, 01:08 PM
Jaws911
Pro

I've never driven a coupe ( I sort of never want to, actually, as i do not wish to be disappointed in my cab afterwards).
For me, while there is some wind noise at speed, I don't find it objectionable at all. Cabin gets as warm (or warmer) as I've ever needed - including cold winter days

I've driven my 20+ y.o. Carrera to northern Vemont from NYC (6 hours) in a cold driving rain w/ minimal leakage (actually, leaks a bit more when parked...This is maybe just my car).

I've DE'd at Watkins Glen, Lime Rock and Pocono - at my level, chassis rigidity (or lack of) is not an issue I'm aware of, - tho I've not been able to get a pic lifting the inside front wheel!

I guess it depends what you want to use the car for - I love being able to take the top down, or just the rear window - for me , the visceral feedback for which these cars are known is mightily enhanced by top down driving. I like driving it w/ the top up, too.

Still very happy I bought Cab (even tho I now know they are sort of considered the "poofy' cousin of true 911's).

BTW, mine is manual - works every time, less weight, never breaks - & will come up quicker in a sudden rainstorm!
Old 02-09-2007, 03:58 PM
butzip
Burning Brakes

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts

Kick7ca,

Where are you located??

I've owned both an SC coupe and currently 88 carrera cab. There may be some factors to the trends you are seeing. If you're looking in SoCal you will most likely find more cabs than in say North Dakota. There has also been a huge surge in track day popularity and thus, people want coupes specifically non-sunroof coupes. It seems to me that convertibles used to command a premium and now it's the non-sunroof coupes that are the hot ticket at least for track-ies. Not everbody wants to hit the track or risk their baby on the same and they realize 'hey, I drive on the street 99.9% of the time and I want the option to drop the top and enjoy open air driving when ever I want.' rather compromise the .01% of the time than 99.9% of the time I say. Get a cab and toss in a rollbar for the occassional DE. It all depends on what you want to experience. 911s are fantastics cars that reward you in many ways.

Rigidity -
Cabs by their very nature are less rigid than coupes. That said, they still feel tight and solid. Heck if you have poly bushings in a coupe the thing feels like it's going to fall apart with all the creaks and harshness. What I'm saying is the set up of the car has more to do with the feel than simply whether it's a coupe vs a cab. I've driven through NYC streets fit only for SUVs with mine and have a comfortable ride and it never feels 'flex-y' and I can push it as hard as my coupe and get similar feedback. You would have to drive them very hard and back to back to see any difference.

Noise -
There is slightly more wind noise due to the fact that there is only a layer of canvas (stayfast) between you and the elements. But it's not intrusive or annoying at all. That is to say if the top is in good condition and sealing where it should. I just replaced the top on mine and noticed a big drop in noise.

Temp -
No worries. I've had mine out recently in 0 degree temps without problems. 911 heat is strong, the cab retains it well.

The biggest factor in buying a cab is the integrity of the top in that it seals against wind noise and leaks.

If you're interested, mine is for sale by word of mouth only. New top (down half dozen times from new), new windshield, new clutch, new tires, new battery, newly rebuilt alt, etc....etc.... Only selling to pay down some bills and I need a car I don't mind putting inter-stellar miles on for work. I hate to do it which is why it's not on E-bay :-) Silver ext/navy top/int If you want more details, let me know.

Brgds, Peter
Old 02-09-2007, 10:33 PM
jimcabc
Addict
Rennlist Member

911 Cabs are among the most rigid of convertibles, although as stated previously, not as solid as a coupe (or even a Targa, I think). There is just a bit of cowl shake with mine over pretty unpleasant roads. If you want to worry about chassis flex, drive an Alfa Spider and then a 911 Cabrio. Tha Alfa feels like cooked spagetti in comparison.

Jim
'87 911 Cabrio
3X blk

departed:
'91 Alfa Spider (aka flexi flyer)
'74 Fiat X1/9 (great autox car - too bad no power and rust)
'70 Fiat Spider (ditto on rust, but wish I still had it)
Old 02-10-2007, 10:57 AM
IslandmanPA
Instructor

Unless you're going full blown racing, get the cab! You'll love the top down experience!!!
Old 02-10-2007, 11:28 AM
BReyes
Racer

The cab chassis should be solid. It will ride well on the street even in spirited driving situations (which you will have alot of experience in if you enjoy a loud whirl of a finely tuned ssi or bb system with a chip). Targa feels the same, and on the track the targa can fly like a coupe. learn the benifits of understanding how to control reverse throttle overstear.

If you go with a cab ( similar to any 911) buy one that has been weel cared for. Really well cared for (ie, like new or refurbished would be ideal).

Good luck.

Regards,
Old 02-10-2007, 05:53 PM
WPOZZZ
Three Wheelin'

Received 16 Likes on 8 Posts

I love my cab! While it does flex a little, it is still a very rigid structure. While driving, you will hear creaks and groans, but that is par for the course with a cab. When driving my 996 coupe, that car is so rigid and bumpy, it borders on ridiculous at times.

I was surprised how quiet the cab is with the top up and windows closed. When cruising on the freeway at 60 mph or even 80 mph, the car is just as quiet as Hondas and Toyotas. You also have the option of leaving the top up and unzipping the rear window. That is probably the loudest the car can get. The glorious symphony of the boxer motor humming behind you is wonderful.
Old 02-13-2007, 10:57 AM
kick7ca
Advanced

thanks for the replies guys,
butzip I'm in Ontario Canada, not much availalbe around here. I'll probably be looking for a car in the midwest / southern US states. Just getting the feelers out now, I have to sell my Rx-7 first.
Old 02-13-2007, 11:32 AM
xbit
Intermediate

The top on my 1991 C2 911 is very solid, quite, warm in the winters and looks awesome (imho) up or down Whenever I give someone new a ride they always poke at it a few times and seem to be very shocked how firm it is.
Old 02-13-2007, 12:00 PM
Norske
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I have had two of each. The coupe is stiffer, by far, however if you are not going to track the car much, the cabs are a lot of fun. Just remember, unless you want torn a headliner in the cab, you MUST put the boot on while driving. It's a little PITA but keeps the headliner looking good. I had no leaks with either, and with the fairly solid middle of the top, they were very warm when needed.
Old 02-14-2007, 12:11 PM
Martin Arias
Intermediate

Received 24 Likes on 7 Posts

My 930 turbo cab feels pretty solid. handles great and makes beautiful engine noise. Does not even creak over bumps. How's that for a 20 year old car? These cars are built like bank vaults. I don't race it, so I don't care about the 1/10th second difference on the track. I would definitely get another 911 cab if I had to do it all over again. While some may say 911 cabrio's are not real sports cars/racers, last time I checked F1 had open cockpits.
Old 02-14-2007, 12:17 PM
g-50cab
Drifting

Received 50 Likes on 36 Posts

My cab is quieter than the Targa I had - either car is pretty rigid for an open car.

IMHO unless you are racing (as in serious about it) The 911 cabs are the ultimate. flat six sound - 911 handling - Put a DAS rollbar for DE and it helps stiffen - and makes the car more rigid.

Take the roll bar out - and take the wife out for a nice dinner out.

Face it - everybody wants one.

Old 02-15-2007, 04:41 PM
glenncof
Instructor

I've driven my '85 Cab about 160K miles since 1991 and never had noise bother me unless I talk on cellphone with window/top down. Check the weight sticker inside drivers door and you'll see they are a lot heavier due to added stiffening. There are other changes such as sport motor mounts and a special damper on the motor mount cross bar.

Heat is plentiful but AC...forget it. I had AC recharge when I got it and never worked worth a dam, convertable top doesn't help.

Sure is nice cruising in Napa/Sonma Valley doing wine tasting on a sunny day with top down or taking it along the West Coast ocean routes.

Quick Reply: Question about convertibles