Reputable Paint Shops

Search this Thread

Old 02-05-2002, 02:36 AM
Carrera Steve
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question Reputable Paint Shops

Hello All:
I was hoping to get a few leads on some SF/Bay Area paint shops/restoration shops for my Carrera. I am planning on treating her for a metal up restoration. I'd love to hear from anyone who has had their cars repainted recently with good results.

Cheers!
Steve
Old 02-05-2002, 03:08 AM
Fassi
Advanced

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I would like the same information for MD/VA/DC. Thanks in advance.
Old 02-05-2002, 03:59 AM
Martin S.
Rennlist Member

Received 524 Likes on 346 Posts
Angry

I hope you guys know what you are getting into with a down to bare metal restoration. Unless it is a very special car such as a 73 RS, 74 RSR, or some very rare car, you are just pissing your money out the window. You are looking at $5,000 + just to paint the car, and about $1,000 to strip the car to bare metal. And don't expect perfection unless you know a really outstanding paint shop...there are not too many of these. And if you do a color change, unless you take the car completely down to the bare tub, you'll always find some of the old color, somewhere at sometime.
Also note, these types of paint jobs generally get relegated to "Project Cars" while in the Paint Shop. Why? A body and paint shop makes their money cranking out the Hondas, the garden variety cars in for insurance collision work, not on the project cars. And be further advised that it takes months to get a car in and out of a shop...that insurance work is the bread and butter and it comes first. The aforementioned is from my experience.

In addition, on a color change, if it is a special car, it will be worth less to the next buyer if it is not the original color.

I went this route with a 74 911, a very "non-special car"...why, I ask myself, why? I bought the car "cheap" and thought I would plow the "savings" into a bare metal restoration and color change. Basically, In just didn't know what I was doing, and Rennlist didn't exist then.

About 6 months after I had dumped god knows how much money into the car, a rust spot appeared on one of the doors. I sold the car within a week and lost my butt.

When it comes time to paint my 97 Carrera, I am selling it. Let somebody else charge the paint job financial windmill. I have been there before.

Quick Reply: Reputable Paint Shops