Sponsored by: Intercity Lines, LLC

Sunroof or not

Search this Thread

Old 02-09-2007, 10:17 PM
rothaus
Advanced

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by theiceman
S Bruce Andreson puts it .... the Garden Variety Targa is readily available...

I wonder if it i more of an availability issue... I have a Targa and love it . It is never in the car unless raining. Although I get a ton of rattles and wind noise I will put up with it for the days I can take it out. The only really annoying wind noise seams to come from the drivers door towards the front ..although Targa wind noise could be a thread all on it's own !!!!!.
As you can see at the left, I had a 71 Targa back in Germany 78 - 80, the red one. I modified it to the after 74 model and I would never do it again
Old 02-09-2007, 10:29 PM
rothaus
Advanced

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts

Looks like some carpenter did some installation. I couldn't believe when I saw it.
Attached Images  
Old 02-09-2007, 10:32 PM
Jay H
Drifting

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

I'd love to weld up the sunroof on both of my 911's... I hate 'em. Rattly, creaky, wind noisey things I never open. Just more weight and more parts to break.

We all have different opinions don't we!!
Old 02-10-2007, 01:08 AM
Antony.
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I really enjoy my sunroof.. I open it up on most drives. I love the airflow, sunshine and the welcome extra sounds of the motor that propagate into the cabin. I don't race or anything so weight isn't a concern for me. Also haven't noticed any annoying noises from it and no leaks since it is mostly garaged and rarely driven in the rain.
Old 02-12-2007, 06:04 PM
vinoviva
Intermediate

Take four 87-89 3.2 Carreras', Cabrio,Targa, Sunfoof Coupe, and Sunroof delete Coupe. Give them the same mileage, condition, and overall options. From high to low, the market values these cars in this order; SR delete coupe, SR coupe, Cabrio, and then Targa. Every model has it admirers, but I have owned over 30 87-89 Carreras, (mostly 88-89) and without doubt, the coupes sell faster at a higher dollar value with the sunroof delete bringing the highest. (It is also by far the rarest).
Old 02-13-2007, 11:52 AM
Jay Laifman
Pro

Originally Posted by oceanvue
One last observation..my targa top was never on and yet my sunroof is never open. Figure out that riddle
Same here on my convertible and my sunroof cars. The top is ALWAYS down unless it is raining. If it's cold, I wear a jacket. If it's colder, I add a hat and gloves too. The sunroof, well, like you said, I rarely ever open it. A riddle, yes indeed.
Old 02-13-2007, 01:44 PM
Bretech
Instructor

funny, my targa top is always on, but today i decided i was gonna remove it since the weather is most enjoyable during the end of winter(lots of cold air with nice warm sun) cars run great too.
Old 02-13-2007, 02:13 PM
dmwallace
Rennlist Member

Rothaus,

I think the question is related to resale opportunity. If you ever plan to resell the car, and if the pool of possible buyers who would accept a sunroof is larger than the pool of possible buyers who would accept a welded-shut sunroof, then you should keep the sunroof (and if the reverse is the case, then weld it). If your mods are going to limit the car's desirability on the street then that might lead to welding. If the car will be able to be driven on the street, I would submit that future potential buyers, some of whom may be driving other cars now and looking for a first 911, may be more interested in having a sunroof as that feature has become more standard on domestic and imported vehicles in the past several years.

Just my $.02 worth,
David
'89 3.2L coupe (yes, with a sunroof)
Old 02-13-2007, 03:02 PM
DARISC
Racer

I'm opposite - I find the 911 to have a roomy cabin compared to some cares I've had. The sunroof just adds weight, noise, complication and I almost never use it.
I'm in this camp - would have bought a non-sunroof car if I'd found one. Sunroofs and targa tops strike me as an attempt to capture a bit of the cabrio experience, a compronise that doesn't bother me at all. I just personally prefer coupes.

Quick Reply: Sunroof or not