Sponsored by: Intercity Lines, LLC

SC dash electrical problem

Search this Thread

Old 02-06-2007, 04:02 PM
carman12
Track Day

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default SC dash electrical problem

1980 SC. Alternator light gets brighter with increasing engine speed, sometimes. Alternator has been removed and checked off car. It is O.K. Oxygen sensor light lights up, sometimes. Switch behind dash has been reset, still lights. Brake-warning light won't go off. Brakes work properly, no leaks; relatively-new M/C. Parking brake switch is O.K.

What's the problem? Where to look?
Do all these items share a ground? If yes, where is it located?

Paul
Old 02-06-2007, 05:30 PM
Peter Zimmermann
Rennlist Member

Received 15 Likes on 13 Posts

Have you checked/replaced the voltage regulator?
Pete
Old 02-06-2007, 06:48 PM
PorscheMD
Racer

You can buy one of those volt meters that plug into you cigarette lighter at Autozone or somewhere similar. Drive around and see if your voltage rises to an unacceptable level when this happens. 15volts or higher is unacceptable. I bet you will find this to be your problem. I am betting this is what Pete is alluding to as well?
Old 02-06-2007, 11:32 PM
Droops83
Three Wheelin'

Received 79 Likes on 67 Posts

Originally Posted by Peter Zimmermann
Have you checked/replaced the voltage regulator?
Pete
Good call, SCs didn't get internally regulated alternators till '82 . . . you will find the voltage regulator behind the fuse panel on the left side of the engine compartment.

This leads me to another suggestion: I have had several cars in the shop lately that had bad radio noise suppressors (usually a little box mounted in between the ground wire for the regulator and ground). They can be open internally and make whatever it is connected to (voltage regulator, ignition coil, etc) seem like it's bad when it's really not. If you see one of these on the regulator, check the charging system with the suppressor disconnected first before condemning the regulator. Good luck!

---Chris A.
Old 02-07-2007, 02:16 AM
carman12
Track Day

I had the voltage regulator tested, off the car. The tech -- independent, auto electrical shop -- said it was O.K.

Paul
Old 02-07-2007, 07:20 AM
Daniel Dudley
Rennlist Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Glazed pulleys, polished fan belt would also cause this. Can you spin the fan without turning the engine ? Cheapest ''cure would be belt dressing, or reshimming the belt.

Also, worn armature brushes will barely touch the armature, yet the unit will still test good. This is also likely on an older car, and can be a bear to diagnose. LOL, Brushes are cheap.
Old 02-07-2007, 10:19 PM
theiceman
Team Owner

Received 1,177 Likes on 844 Posts

You know this sounds VERY familiar .. didn't someone last year have this EXACT issue .. If I remember right he replaced the alternator even though it " checked out" and that fixed it .. I am pretty sure whoever it was is still on the board so if this sounds familiar chime in . I am all for installing VMs in these cars ...

Quick Reply: SC dash electrical problem