Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Intercity Lines, LLC

Marriage proposal 89C4 engine and transaxle in 86 Carrera - sad but true story

Search this Thread

Old 02-05-2007, 09:07 PM
marcandkimmie
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Marriage proposal 89C4 engine and transaxle in 86 Carrera - sad but true story

Hi folks:

Here is a true story followed with a technical question.

I own an 86 Targa that I have lightened quite a bit. It has 248,000 miles and needs an engine and tranny rebuild. I bought this car over a year ago from a guy. After I bought the car, he and I became good friends. A few months after I purchased, the 86 from him, I bought a relatively low mileage 89 C4 that looked almost showroom good (really).

I never quite took to the C4 because it felt heavy and too civilized compared to my stripped out 86. I ended up selling the C4 to my friend...the same guy that sold me the 86. He then took the 89 and added a cat bypass, heater bypass, new pulleys, and a new clutch. Two weeks after he had the work done, a driver who had just had eye surgery (and was blind in one eye) smashed into the front left side of the car!

The damage was more than my friend was willing to repair. Today he and I discussed having the 3.6L and G50 swapped into my 86. This would essentially marry the two cars I used to own together...which makes for a nice story.

Now the question. I know the 3.6 can be swapped into my 86, but can a G50 from a C4 be swapped as well even though it came from a 4 wheel drive car?

If this can be done, what other parts are necessary for the conversion?

How much would the conversion cost approx?

Details:
3.6 engine is in excellent condition 85,000 miles but absolutely NO leaks. Engine has just been completely gone over by one of Florida's best Porsche technicians and found to be in great shape. Valve adjustment is only a couple hundred miles old. Yes...distributors are vented and heads do not leak...no broken studs either.

G50 Transmission is also excellent with brand new clutch.

I am seriously considering this instead of a rebuild of my existing drivetrain. Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

Thank you,
Marc

Quick Reply: Marriage proposal 89C4 engine and transaxle in 86 Carrera - sad but true story