Sponsored by: Intercity Lines, LLC

1st 911. What to buy?

Search this Thread

Old 02-04-2002, 05:37 PM
GBaugh
2nd Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question 1st 911. What to buy?

I am ready to buy my first 911. I have loved them since I was 12. Unfortunately my budget will require me to stay in the $10-12K range. What should I look out for? I dont mind DIY projects but dont want to buy a money pit. Thanks for any help or hints.
Old 02-04-2002, 05:41 PM
r22tek
Advanced

$10-12k and no money pit huh....I would say a really nice example of a 74-77 911, with all updates/issues already taken care of by the previous owner. You can do alot on this car yourself, but some engine issues have been noted in these model years. Mkae sure they have been attended to. I don't think
Old 02-04-2002, 09:58 PM
Stephen Masraum
Racer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
You may be able to find an early SC in your range if you look around a while, say '78-80, especially right now with the economy what it is.

Make sure you have read the chapter of Bruce Anderson's book, Porsche 911 Performance Handbook, on buying a used Porsche. I think it's chapter 2.
Old 02-05-2002, 10:30 AM
DohcV8
Track Day

The weekend before the bonbings I bought a nice 1982 911SC Targa for $13,000. I probably could have gotten it for a little less. I'm sure it would go for less than that now. It had 104,000 miles, but no records, a recently redone Targa top with good seals. I've driven it for 4 months now and put 8,000 miles on it. It's sort have become my everyday beater. I haven't put 100 miles on my 300+ HP Mustang Cobra since I bought the 911.

The 911 doesn't leak any oil and hardly uses any. I've only added 3 quarts in 8,000 miles. It has the standard dual heated electric mirrors and electric antenna. Inside, the carpets and interior are in nice shape with very little wear or fading. Outside the paint was very nice with just the ineveitable stone chips on the hood. The tires were nice Michelins, though I did just recently have to replace the rear tires.

The options include a tan full leather interior with a darker brown leather dash top, door caps and rear speaker deck, the factory leather Recaro sport seats, Bilstien shocks, cruise control, fog lights, Platinum metallic paint, the factory alarm, the 16" forged Fuchs wheels and the factory wheel locks.

The AC works, but it slowly leaks out the freon. I'll have to look into that later this year.

The cars are out there, but you've got to look for them. I spend six months or so looking at everything from BMW 3.0 CS coupes to MGTFs and Austin Healy 100's before I bought this 911. I also did a little traveling to find this one.

Lots of people are out there trying to sell junk. Be carefull. I can't tell you about all the trash I screened over the phone and how disappointing most of the cars I looked at were.

I wasn't looking for a concours car, just a nice straight driver.

Regards,

Jerry Kroeger
82 911SC targa
Old 02-05-2002, 12:06 PM
Carrera51
Rennlist Member

Received 254 Likes on 155 Posts
GBaugh:
You should be able to find a nice straight 911, 74-79 in your price range. I picked up my 84 Carrera for $14.5K in 1999. The car was straight with original paint and motor with 149K miles. I've got 165K on it as of last Saturday when I took it out for a spin. Whatever you find, plan on fixing a few things upon purchase. Any car you are interested in, spend the money on a pre-purchase inspection by a knowledgeable Porsche Tech. I am sure someone on this board can recommend someone in your area.

If you look at a 74-77 car focus on 76-77 years. They were galvanized at this point so they shouldn't have some of the rust issues that the earlier cars had/have. Make sure any 76-77s have had the proper engine updates and no longer have the thermal reactors on them (pollution stuff). The thermal reactors trap a lot of heat next to the engine case which is a bad thing. A good Porsche tech will know what to look for so save yourself future headaches and definately get a pre-purchase inspection.

Good luck in your search and be patient. There are a lot of good used 911s out there, but there are also a lot of less desireable ones that have not had proper maintenance. Make sure any car you get comes with maintenance records available for the mechanic to review.
Old 02-05-2002, 02:11 PM
Want to be
Three Wheelin'

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
GBaugh,

Please remember there is no cheap 911. I am sure you will be able to find a decent SC under 12k but be careful. No mechanic can give you an 100 percent accurate assumption of the future problems.

If you do buy a 911 please set asside atleast 2k for future repairs. I have owned several Porsche and they were all money pits.

1989 911 carrera
1993 911 RS america
1989 944
1988 911 carrera

All of these above cost me thousands!
Tires , oil return tubes , main oil lines ,gas lines, brakes and all the gadgets you will want such as Momo,Sparco (list goes on and on)!

Believe me I love the 911 but for now my future plains does not allow me to have one (soon to be married). I am search for an older 1977 (just for weekends (and tight budget) and just to have one again)

There are great deals out there because my 1988 went for dirt cheap and i put 6 grand in her.

Good luck and happy hunting

jpc
Old 02-12-2002, 04:03 AM
pjt
3rd Gear

I picked up a 1980 euro version 911sc for $8500 last year. The records were there but the speedometer was broken and never fixed at 42K. Engine runs strong but had the typical 20 year old problems like bushings, ac condensor, warm up regulator that needed replacing. If the body is good and the engine checks out with the inspection, then a 78-83 sc is probably the most reliable way to go. The two most important things are the upgraded chain tensioners and clutch. Otherwise it's probably the most reliable of the model years. If you go '74-77 the most important thing is to make sure the engine has been reliably rebuilt. They're known for problems at less than 100k miles and you don't want to be stuck with that cost. Some would say to stay away from euro models but I haven't found that to be the case. Just make sure it passes emissions if applicable in your state. That's one problem I don't have. My car had 2 previous owners - both had dwi's with it and wanted out. The one I bought it from hit a curb and bent the strut and front condensor - minor damage that is easily fixed if you're willing. Found the strut assembly used over the internet and other parts can be found at reasonable prices if you shop around. First gear is a little clunky but that's typical for that car. Be patient and hope to find a motivated seller if your budget's tight.

Quick Reply: 1st 911. What to buy?