Sponsored by: Intercity Lines, LLC

Oil temp gauge reading

Search this Thread

Old 01-28-2007, 12:56 PM
BMWDavid
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Oil temp gauge reading

OK, I'm new at this. Just picked up my '89 Carrera a couple of days ago (see my other post). I know its been cold out at the moment (25*) but after 20-25 miles of rural highway driving the temp gauge only gets up out of the lower white block. Is this normal during cold temps?

I remember reading someplace that the first tick mark is 200* and the second tick mark is 250*. So I'm probably only getting up to 130*-140* if that. When I place my hand on the oil tank as soon as I pull into my garage the tank feels lukewarm.

Thanks,

David
Old 01-28-2007, 01:16 PM
elayne bray
Track Day

Dave,

I have had my '88 cabrio for 2 weeks now in 70 degree sothern california and not seen my temp much past the first bar. If it is 25 where you are i would be just fine with the gauge. ( there is no second hand on the clock...) have you found the switch for adjusting the mirrors? ....I'm new too, and I bought a car from ohio, from a broker and let my wife have the final word on getting it. I love it. it has the original everything, but the rag top.
Old 01-28-2007, 04:30 PM
BMWDavid
Instructor

Well if at 70* you only get up to the first bar then maybe I'm OK with the low temps and all.

Yeah, that mirror switch is a little hidden. Underneath the dash lip on the left side. Can't seem to find my intensive cleaning spray switch though. I have the intensive cleaning solution tank and all but no switch as per the owners manual. Any idea were that is?

Until someone told me about the white tell tale hand on the clock the other day I thought every 911 I looked at online had a broken clock!

Congrats on your '88 Cab. I love my '89 Coupe. Its my first Porsche after many years of lusting after one.

David
Old 01-28-2007, 08:47 PM
Jay H
Drifting

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

In hot weather, my '84 will run just a tick above the second white mark, but never any further. I just had the external thermostat and one hard oil line replaced, so I know everything is functioning. In cool weather, my car will run somwhere in that black area between the first white mark and the second white mark. David, it sounds like your car is functioning correctly if the temp gauge is getting up and out of that first white mark.

You'll want to feel the hard oil lines on the passenger side of the car that run to the front. Check both those lines and the oil cooler in front of the passenger side front tire. All of that stuff should be warm after a decent drive. Those lines and cooler be quite warm or hot on a warm summer day.

Quick Reply: Oil temp gauge reading