Sponsored by: Intercity Lines, LLC

Motor Rebuild ideas

Search this Thread

Old 01-20-2007, 05:09 PM
eyeflyalot
7th Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Motor Rebuild ideas

I am interested in rebuilding a 911 motor for fun and am not sure which would be worth while once completed. For the simple fact that most 3.2's are too expensive to start out with, I would be most interested in a 2.0, 2.2, 2.4, 2.7 or 3.0 motors? I have no project to put it in but I would like to take it step or two above stock in case my luck changes with a car. Do any of the motors have an inherently bad rap, no matter how much money you put in them? I have heard the 2.7 might be that way, but am unfamiliar with the early motors. IF I were to sell it once built, what would be considered a desireable motor?

I am working on the budget, but the key word it budget so no plans for blown, stroked race motors are in my plans.

Thanks for the help,

Scott
Old 01-20-2007, 07:58 PM
Daniel Dudley
Rennlist Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

A 3.0 is I believe based on the 930 turbo motor, so it is inherently strong. 3.0 and 3.2 engines are popular upgrade motors, and a 3.0 can be made to push 280 HP with carbs. I don't know that building one of these would be cheap, even if you supply the labor. 3K for an engine, about that for pistons and liners, couple grand for carbs, and then there is machine work. As for selling it, I wouldn't buy an engine that hadn't been run up personally, unless I knew the mechanic.

It really sounds to me like you need a whole car to play with. Have you considered a 914 ? Lots of affordable examples out there, great handling, and really no limit to how far you can upgrade them. Most of the experience you would gain working on a 914 would be directly applicable to the 911. That is if we could pry you away from a 914 once you got hooked. BTW, a carbed 914 motor can be a real powerhouse, and there is a HUGE industry supporting the 4 cylinder engines. You could build a super 914 for the price of a 3.0 rebuild, and then take it to the track and spank it. YMMV
Old 01-21-2007, 09:37 AM
earlyapex
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 62 Likes on 32 Posts

I would start with a 3.0L motor. They are plentiful and when you are done there are people who want to buy them.
Old 01-21-2007, 10:34 AM
KRA993tt
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Take a look at the engine rebuild area on pelicanparts.com tech forums. Do a search and you will see lots of possible options. Good luck.

Quick Reply: Motor Rebuild ideas