Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Intercity Lines, LLC

What more should i do to save money

Search this Thread

Old 01-16-2007, 07:41 PM
Daniel Dudley
Rennlist Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Vincenttt, I think you might be able to spot glaze the chips. The big trick to all of this is to get that even surface without high/lows or edges. Feathering is all about spreading out a low spot so you don't get carnival mirror reflections. It might be worth your while to get a book describing this kind of prep work. Generally speaking, you will always find things you could improve opon on your first attempts at prep work. Sometimes the painter will go over it again, soetimes not.

The important thing to remember is that a paint job doesn't have to be perfect to look nice and make the car attractive. You will want to wash the car with a strong degreasing soap before you start wet sanding, and you will want to add a small amount of soap to the water you use to wet sand.

Now would be a good time to talk to Maaco or whomever. Ask them how they want it prepped before you choose your final grit. LOL
Old 01-16-2007, 08:03 PM
Edgy01
Poseur
Rennlist Member

Received 234 Likes on 128 Posts

Another extremely important issue is the use of Glasurit primer,--and then letting it sit for some time. You want it to really dry and settle deep into that body. Don't neglect this step or all the work you're going through will be wasted. You just can't do a paint job half-a%% as it is what you first see on a car. Also, do you want this to be a ten foot car, a twent foot car? How close could you stand to view it before the flaws show up.

I had my 77 repainted at the factory in 78 due to a problem there and it cost about 5000 DMs THEN,--so things are never cheap when it comes to painting a 911 correctly.
Old 01-16-2007, 10:50 PM
vincenttt
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I know it's not going to be a showroom looking car , but i would like to just have a nice looking car when i'm done . All of you guys have been really helpful to me with this project . To make this more of a live project , I am now going to try to post some pic's of what i have done so far. maybe this will help someone who is thinking of doing the same thing as i am. Thanks.
Vincent
Old 01-18-2007, 09:21 PM
Daniel Dudley
Rennlist Member

WOW. Great start !
Old 01-18-2007, 09:23 PM
vincenttt
Advanced

front
Old 01-18-2007, 09:28 PM
vincenttt
Advanced

side
Old 01-18-2007, 10:24 PM
Daniel Dudley
Rennlist Member

Looks really straight.
Old 01-19-2007, 02:16 AM
ked
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I'd just stripe the clear off,
wet sand it to a consistent, fine finish,
shoot a new clear coat,
& be done w/ it...
but I'm no expert.
Old 01-19-2007, 10:02 AM
vincenttt
Advanced

Originally Posted by ked
I'd just stripe the clear off,
wet sand it to a consistent, fine finish,
shoot a new clear coat,
& be done w/ it...
but I'm no expert.
I was thinking of doing that , but do you think the color will come back after it's been out in the sun for five years ? will the top match the sides ?
Old 01-19-2007, 11:19 PM
vincenttt
Advanced

Ok ..... I just came back from a store that sales auto body and paint supplies only. The guy there told me that color-sanding my car would not work . The clear coat of paint has peeled off and the top of the car has faded and will not come back. He suggested that I wet-sand the entire car with 400 grit paper, taking off the clear coat and some of the faded paint too. For the small chips, he told me to sand them down to the metal, apply some polyester finishing and blending putty. Block-sand, then primer the spots I worked on, but not all over the car. Then he said, when I get ready to have someone repaint it , go over the car with 600 grit paper . Will this work or not ?

Thanks,
Vincent
Old 01-19-2007, 11:45 PM
ked
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Vincent, you just spoke w/ a guy in the biz - he's probably right. But you might consider getting into this dialog w/ the painter you are eventually going to use - your work will be his start point - how HE wants it done is what really matters. There are numerous books (like Haynes & similar) & diy tapes on the subject - you could check your library, search the web, maybe even visit a local tech school to see how its done. good luck!
Old 01-20-2007, 03:45 PM
Daniel Dudley
Rennlist Member

Sanding out to 400 will work. Chip repair sounds good. Shooting new color coat makes sense. You shouldn't have a lot of trouble finding a guy to shoot it. It's a gravy job for him, in and out, cash.

You are headed in the right direction.
Old 01-20-2007, 11:17 PM
vincenttt
Advanced

Thanks Daniel,
I came in the house from wet-sanding all day. The 400 grit paper was ok on the parts of the car that did not have anymore clear coat on it, but on the parts with the clear coat, were very hard to come off. I used 220 grit dry with a power sander to cut it down a bit, then I went over it with the 400 wet to take the clear all the way off. I got a little too low in some spots, but not too bad, so I'll just need to hit them with some primer. I think I have about 2 more hours of sanding before I start working on the chips. I need to start looking for a painter soon. I found lots of web sites of people doing the same as me. Thanks Ked.
(I'll be posting more pic's soon too)

Vincent
Old 01-26-2007, 10:34 PM
vincenttt
Advanced

Almost ready
Old 01-27-2007, 07:46 AM
jeffnudd
Racer

Keep the pics coming.

I cant wait to see the finished product, i have done exactly the same with my 964 Targa and it is definatley worth it.
Attached Images   

Quick Reply: What more should i do to save money