Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Intercity Lines, LLC

Help with Oilcooler guard.

Search this Thread

Old 01-13-2007 | 08:28 PM
flatsixnut
Burning Brakes

Default Help with Oilcooler guard.

The placement of this oilcooler required the previous owner to install a guard. I think it is unsightly.
I thought at one time about buying a euro style front bumper and moving the cooler to fit at the hole that the bumper had...kinda like the rsr bumper...but I like the stock look.
I also thought that if I added a chin spoiler it would hide it...but I dont have a rear wing, nor do I think I ever want one on it.
Any ideas appreciated.

Thanks,
Michael

Old 01-13-2007 | 08:44 PM
earlyapex
Addict
Rennlist Member

Paint it flat black.
Old 01-13-2007 | 08:49 PM
Username
Track Day

That's a stock a/c condensor and guard.
Old 01-13-2007 | 09:19 PM
flatsixnut
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by Username
That's a stock a/c condensor and guard.
No its not. The ac condencer is under the engine lid.
Old 01-13-2007 | 09:23 PM
VA911
Instructor

i tend to agree with USERNAME. definatly not oil cooler there. my sc has that there and its AC. Oil cooler is in front right guard
Old 01-13-2007 | 09:42 PM
flatsixnut
Burning Brakes

In my first post I stated that for "this oil cooler". It is not a stock oil cooler. The ac condenser coil on "my" car is under my engine lid. This car does not have the trumbone style oil cooler in the fender.
This car holds almost 15 qts of oil. If I am wrong then my ac works pretty good conected to the oil cooler, and the oil stays pretty cool running though the ac condenser.
Old 01-13-2007 | 11:05 PM
VA911
Instructor

well i stand corrected. interesting set up though.
Old 01-13-2007 | 11:27 PM
sjanes
Addict
Rennlist Member

- on the Carrera, the A/C has a condenser in that location and on the engine cover
- I can't imagine an oil cooler in that location being of any use (not enough air flow)
- I don't see two large oil lines running to it. How is it plumbed?

I'm not saying you're wrong, but I don't see why someone would put an oil cooler there. Any pic of how the oil lines run to it?

If it is an oil cooler, personally, I'd put a Carrera cooler in the fender and remove what you have. Better cooling and fixes your asthetics issue.
Old 01-13-2007 | 11:58 PM
flatsixnut
Burning Brakes

Ok now I feel like a complete bumbling idiot. Guess I have more to learn about this car than I thought...well actually I did just learn a couple things thanks to all that replied. I got my lazy butt under the car and looked again. I must have been misinformed by someone at a dif time.

It does have 2 ac condensers...one on the engine lid and THAT one in the front. And it also has the trombone style in the front right fender.

God I feel like a jerk. I can not apologise enough.

I have thought about removing the ac, but it has a brand new compresser. "yes I am sure its not the alternater". LOL. The only time I ever use ac is when the wife is in the car and she does not want her hair to blow.

Ok...do you think I can put a chin spoiler on the front to cover it...or will it look stupid without the rear spoiler?
Old 01-14-2007 | 12:45 AM
Danny_Ocean
Pro

Not to worry. You're not the only idiot. I inisited to anyone who would listen that I had an oil cooler in my left rear fenderwell, complete with electric fan...it turned out to be an A/C condensor...
Old 01-14-2007 | 09:24 AM
J. Brinkley
Addict
Rennlist Member

everyone that has that condensor has the same gaurd, except most are painted black. I removed the AC but left the gaurd there just because. Carreras with the lip spoiler also have this gaurd. It's been said that you can have the front spoiler without the rear wing, but you can't/shouldn't run a rear wing without the front spoiler. Take it off if you don't like it, or paint it black, or add the front lip and don't paint anything. Painting it black is the cheapest. Adding the lip will reduce airflow on the condensor making the AC even worse.

If I had your valence with no fog lights I'd remove it. I think it'd look nicer with nothing down there
IMO
Old 01-14-2007 | 11:08 AM
Username
Track Day

Originally Posted by flatsixnut
Ok now I feel like a complete bumbling idiot. Guess I have more to learn about this car than I thought...well actually I did just learn a couple things thanks to all that replied. I got my lazy butt under the car and looked again. I must have been misinformed by someone at a dif time.
Lol.... I'm on my second 911 and I learn something new everytime I tinker with it. You can put the non-turbo chin spoiler on and it will hide everything and look fine without the tail.
Old 01-14-2007 | 02:03 PM
JackOlsen
Race Car

Flatsixnut, are you sure you don't have an oil cooler as well? Assuming that's a Carrera, it would be unusual to have no external cooler (especially in an AC car in Florida). Is there nothing in the forward side of the front passenger side fender?
Old 01-14-2007 | 02:17 PM
flatsixnut
Burning Brakes

Yes Jack...In my apologize post I stated that the car did have a trumbone style in the front right fender.

Love your car by the way....one of my fave long hoods.
Old 01-14-2007 | 03:18 PM
flatsixnut
Burning Brakes

Well I just got done painting it black. this will have to do till I can locate a decent chin spoiler.

Quick Reply: Help with Oilcooler guard.