Sponsored by: Intercity Lines, LLC

914 heater blower conversion in a 85 Carrera- with pics

Search this Thread

Old 01-03-2007, 10:55 PM
gunlover05
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 914 heater blower conversion in a 85 Carrera- with pics

Yes, my engine heater blower on my 85 carrera is shot per this recent post @ "holy white smoke in the cabin batman" https://rennlist.com/forums/showthre...ferrerid=45859

My buddy at work helped me diagnose this problem and said he had some blower motors from his 914 he had remove to lighten it. He brought them to work today. Guess what, one is in my car right now and working great!! Yes, my footwell blowers will come on too! (well the one that has always worked, passenger side hasn't worked in a while I don't think).

First pic is the blower straight from the 914 - looks similar doesn't it. Not exact though. The body of the motor is noticably smaller in diameter and the housing is slightly different too. VW Part #914572011.10
Here is what I did - Took the 914 motor off the blower housing and tried to put it on my 911 housing. There are smaller holes exactly the same spacing, but not big enough in diameter...simple drill out a few thou on the holes. Motor mount to housing was not exact fit, but when you tighten down the small nuts, there are no gaps to the housing. I had to put my 911 fan on the 914 motor as the other was slightly bigger in dia and just barely wouldn't go in the 911 housing. Then I took the mounting bracket off the 911 motor and mounted it to the smaller 914 motor with a pipe clamp. Then I took the plug off the 911 motor and spliced it to the 914 motor. Mounted everything back in the car, and presto - everything works as it should (got to check that passenger side FW blower next though.)
The new motor has tight bearings, and seems to blow a good bit harder than the 911 motor (faster i suppose). No fuses blown so far and I drove around tonight for a while testing everything out. Guessing this motor was made for another purpose and may not last as long as a new proper 911 blower motor, but it "should" last quite a while. Everything looks stock looking into the engine bay.

This took me all of an hour to do from start to finish. Anybody see why this 914 blower motor conversion won't work for a good while??
Old 01-03-2007, 11:59 PM
Dan Cobb
The Ancient One
Rennlist Lifetime Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Nothing except for the fact that the 914 blower motor was used for probably 15-20 years before it was removed.
I did a very similar upgrade to my 84 with a brushless DC motor from grainger.
It was a bit of a challenge to get the new motor to mount to the original plate, but I machined it to fit like the factory would have if given the same pieces to work with.

I hope your new setup lasts as long as the weather stays cold enough to use it.
+++

Quick Reply: 914 heater blower conversion in a 85 Carrera- with pics