Sponsored by: Intercity Lines, LLC

Battery Trickle charger

Search this Thread

Old 01-05-2007, 11:47 PM
VGM911
Burning Brakes

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by Marc Gelefsky
911 is now tucked away in it's new garage for the winter, what do you guys use for trickle chargers?

The Porsche one is 119.00, worth it? I'm dirt poor after the house purchase!

New house has only one garage so the Boxster will suffer outside
I'm curious about who puts their cars away for the winter....it doesn't surprise me that people who live in upper New England might...but New Jersey? Surely, there are plenty of dry, salt-free days during the winter here in New Jersey, so why store the car?
Old 01-06-2007, 12:38 AM
scottb
Burning Brakes

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by DB_NC_83SC
Does your Schumacher charger cause your car to run other cars off the road, or come to a dead stop blocking the Rascasse turn when you happen to be driving it in Monaco ? Does your car run well only when you're driving it, but when anyone else (i.e. a mate) climb behind the wheel, suddenly the car runs as if it's inferior spec ?
Uh, maybe I'm having a "dense" moment...but can you explain WTF this post is about?
Old 01-06-2007, 01:15 AM
Jay H
Drifting

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by scottb
Uh, maybe I'm having a "dense" moment...but can you explain WTF this post is about?
From Wikipedia:

The Grand Prix de Monaco 2006 was the seventh race of the 2006 Formula One World Championship. It took place on the weekend of May 25th–28th 2006 at the Circuit de Monaco. Prior to the race, Renault's Fernando Alonso had finished on the podium in all of the last six Grand Prix; winning three of those races. His main championship rival, Michael Schumacher was looking to win the race, as it would equal Ayrton Senna's record at Monaco for most wins, that record standing at six wins.

The race was remembered by many people for Michael Schumacher's actions during the closing stages of the qualifying session for the race, where he stopped his car in the Rascasse corner, thus preventing his rival Fernando Alonso improving his time and most likely taking pole off Schumacher, whether the move was deliberate or accidental is still a matter of debate. In the end, Schumacher's actions were deemed "deliberate" and was demoted to the back of the grid as punishment for his actions; promoting Alonso from second to pole position and Mark Webber from third to second.
Old 01-06-2007, 01:17 AM
Jay H
Drifting

Originally Posted by VGM911
I'm curious about who puts their cars away for the winter....
My garage queen 964 gets put away from about mid October until May or June of the following year. I won't get it out until car show season starts, or maybe later.

My '84 will come out as soon as the salt is gone from the roads (could be late March or early April) and will get put away most likely around Thanksgiving on average. Temperatures don't dicatate when the car gets put away, just when the salt comes out and gets washed away.
Old 01-08-2007, 02:13 PM
911 Rod
Race Car

Received 303 Likes on 207 Posts

In the 5 years I've parked my car for 5 months I have never used a trickle charger and the battery has always held a charge.
I would rather the battery sleep than using up it's life span on a charger.
I have put it on the charger before driving it so my alternator does not have to bring it up to snuff. It has always stayed above 12 volts while stored.
My garage does not go below freezing but it is not heated.
Old 01-08-2007, 02:23 PM
Jay H
Drifting

Originally Posted by 911 Rod
In the 5 years I've parked my car for 5 months I have never used a trickle charger and the battery has always held a charge...
My garage does not go below freezing but it is not heated.
The pre 964 models don't seem to have much draw on the battery while the car is parked (assume no aftermarket equipment is drawing). Even though this is the 911 forum and not the 964 forum, a newer car such as a 964/993 with all the associated electronics will eventually run a battery down if it stays connected and the car is never run.

Rod, I would assume you have a pre 964 car. Also, having a garage that never gets below freezing really helps too! That's good!

I highly agree with Rod's suggestion of charging the battery before driving a car that has been siting a lot since the last time it was run. That saves the alternator quite a bit...

Best,

Jay
Old 01-08-2007, 07:18 PM
r911
Anti-Cupholder League

Received 117 Likes on 100 Posts

"I would rather the battery sleep than using up it's life span on a charger."

Batteries unlike mammals, do not sleep. This post is based on a misconception about batteries. While it sits unused it will self-discharge. If it goes on enough it will impair the life of the battery.

A battery on a properly designed 'float' trickle charger will last decades longer than one that 'sleeps.'
Old 01-08-2007, 08:17 PM
IslandmanPA
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

+1 Randywebb!

Quick Reply: Battery Trickle charger