Sponsored by: Intercity Lines, LLC

Humps - agh!

Search this Thread

Old 01-02-2007, 05:52 AM
RedShadow
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Humps - agh!

Took the seats out of the car this Xmas and discovered two big bumps underneath both front seats. The damage has cracked the flooring on the drivers side (right-hand-side for the UK!) but the chassis looks fine.

The car has probably been jacked incorrectly at some time in the past. I remember I saw some dents when the car was last up on a lift but din;t know they went right up under the seats.

Is this going to cause any big headaches or can the floor pans simply be replaced? Are they metal or plastic? Seem to be plastic.

Thanks
Old 01-02-2007, 12:08 PM
Peter Zimmermann
Rennlist Member

Received 15 Likes on 13 Posts

I've found this problem on a number of cars - some tire stores, etc., are not the 911s best friend! Your floor is steel, and will return to its original shape with the use of a persuader. We had a set of 2x4 and 4x4 sections of wood that we placed against the "hump," a few firm strikes with a heavy ball peen, or brass, hammer will do wonders! There will be some surface cracking evident after you're done, but if your car was built after '75 you probably won't have a rust issue. If water can't enter the interior from below you should be OK.
Pete
Old 01-02-2007, 02:40 PM
theiceman
Team Owner

Received 1,160 Likes on 831 Posts

I was talking to a body shop t guy the other day and he confirmed petes findings, he also stated that you can get the rubberized material that cracks. he said you lay it in and use a heat gun to form the shape . I may do mine next year as my car had a landing on the tub in its past uner the passenger seat..
Old 01-03-2007, 04:44 AM
RedShadow
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Great - thanks guys - I'll try that.

Quick Reply: Humps - agh!