Sponsored by: Intercity Lines, LLC

901 transmission/clutch problems

Search this Thread

Old 11-25-2002, 02:29 PM
racemechanic
Track Day

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Red face 901 transmission/clutch problems

I'm having problems with a 901 transmission/clutch. It seems that the release fork has too much front to rear play on the ball pin (pivot bolt) and has allowed the throwout bearing side of the pressure plate to rub against the trans housing & fork. The pivot ball pin seems to be in good shape and fits fairly snug in the fork (side play). Behind the fork was a conical shaped washer, then the flat spring. This conical shaped washer has large nicks in it and I don't see anyway for this to happen, so I'm wondering if this is even the correct washer. One diagram that I have seen shows a flat washer on the opposite side of the flat spring (further from the fork than the flat spring). Another diagram shows just the opposite. Which is correct and is this supposed to be a flat washer or conical shaped with one flat side? If conical, which side goes against the fork (or flat spring if it goes on after the spring), the flat or cone side? Also, the clutch disk itself is "stuck" to the pressure plate. It shows very little wear (measures a little over 8MM thick). The flywheel has no wear (as a matter of fact, where the disk should press against the flywheel, the flywheel has slight surface rust, as if the clutch disk hasn't been making contact with the flywheel). Does anyone have any ideas?
All suggestions will be appreciated!
Jeff
Old 11-25-2002, 06:48 PM
fusionsport
Instructor

send/post pictures if possible..having a gard time picturing your problem.
Old 11-25-2002, 08:59 PM
racemechanic
Track Day

[quote]Originally posted by racemechanic:
<strong>I'm having problems with a 901 transmission/clutch. It seems that the release fork has too much front to rear play on the ball pin (pivot bolt) and has allowed the throwout bearing side of the pressure plate to rub against the trans housing & fork. The pivot ball pin seems to be in good shape and fits fairly snug in the fork (side play). Behind the fork was a conical shaped washer, then the flat spring. This conical shaped washer has large nicks in it and I don't see anyway for this to happen, so I'm wondering if this is even the correct washer. One diagram that I have seen shows a flat washer on the opposite side of the flat spring (further from the fork than the flat spring). Another diagram shows just the opposite. Which is correct and is this supposed to be a flat washer or conical shaped with one flat side? If conical, which side goes against the fork (or flat spring if it goes on after the spring), the flat or cone side? Also, the clutch disk itself is "stuck" to the pressure plate. It shows very little wear (measures a little over 8MM thick). The flywheel has no wear (as a matter of fact, where the disk should press against the flywheel, the flywheel has slight surface rust, as if the clutch disk hasn't been making contact with the flywheel). Does anyone have any ideas?
All suggestions will be appreciated!
Jeff</strong><hr></blockquote>

I hope this works. I didn't know how to add pictures, so I put them on my website. (http://www.gogetjewelry.com/901trans.htm)The red & green shows where the pressure plate is making contact with the housing and fork. The right side of the picture of the fork shows how it came apart. The left of the picture shows how one diagram shows that it should be (but with a flat washer). You can see the "dings" & "nick" in the conical washer, but I don't understand how they got there unless someone used it as a "spacer?". You can see the gap between the washer and the fork which allows the fork to hit the housing.
Also, the clutch disk appears to be stuck to the pressure plate.
Thanks for your help,
Jeff

Old 11-25-2002, 09:04 PM
racemechanic
Track Day

Question

Yea, as I thought, the pictures didn't show up here (new to rennlist!). Any help on that would be appreciated too! You can click and drag the address and see the pictures.
Thanks,
Jeff
Old 11-26-2002, 02:38 AM
VELOCE
AutoX

HI I had a similar problem w/ my friend's / customer's 70 911 E. I REBUILT the GEARBOX and REPLACED the CLUTCH ASSEMBLY . The FLYWHEEL was also REFACED/ MACHINED. After reinstallation we found we couldn't get proper adjustment and fork was rubbing on pressure plate.I believe I didn't allow for the refaced flywheel. I ended up taking it back out and I purchased some SPECIAL HARDENDED WASHERS. I installed one I believe along w/ a new ball pin and clutch pin [ available from PERFORMANCE PRODUCTS or PELICAN ?] and problem solved. My friend's 911 E has 3000 + MILES since my repairs everything is fine. The WASHER is something I purchased locally [ CHICAGO ] and I believe I purchased EXTRAS. If you like contact me at 847 480 8980 or post your mailing address and I will be glad to send you the washer NO CHARGE. I will also share my notes w/ you about this repair , if I can find them. I believe BRUCE ANDERSON noted this problem in his TECH NOTES 2. I hope this is of some help to you. REGARDS ALAN ITALIA AUTOMOBILI NORTHBROOK ILL.

Quick Reply: 901 transmission/clutch problems