Sponsored by: Intercity Lines, LLC

Salty roads...

Search this Thread

Old 12-21-2006, 08:29 AM
RedShadow
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Salty roads...

Ah jeez, the old - do I drive it or not? They've started salting the roads here in the UK. My other car is not a Porsche and probably wouldn't make the round trip to pick my brother up from the airport. To compound the problem they have a hosepipe ban here in London - so no cleaning - and he's arriving after the train service stops.

Quick consensus should I drive the car or leave her parked up for the winter?

Cheers!
Old 12-21-2006, 08:55 AM
GothingNC
Drifting

Received 52 Likes on 31 Posts

I would park the porsche.

I've read too many horror stories of rust occuring in the UK from raod salt and moisture.

John
Old 12-21-2006, 09:38 AM
Adrian
Addict
Lead Rennlist
Technical Advisor
Rennlist
Lifetime Member

Received 16 Likes on 16 Posts

Originally Posted by mflinkenberg
Ah jeez, the old - do I drive it or not? They've started salting the roads here in the UK. My other car is not a Porsche and probably wouldn't make the round trip to pick my brother up from the airport. To compound the problem they have a hosepipe ban here in London - so no cleaning - and he's arriving after the train service stops.

Quick consensus should I drive the car or leave her parked up for the winter?

Cheers!
Salt very bad, no cleaning abilities even worse = potential future rust bucket.
Ciao,
Adrian.
Old 12-21-2006, 09:51 AM
RedShadow
Instructor

Originally Posted by Adrian
Salt very bad, no cleaning abilities even worse = potential future rust bucket.
Ciao,
Adrian.
You haven't been waiting for an opportunity to use that soapbox have you?
Old 12-21-2006, 10:12 AM
theiceman
Team Owner

Received 1,142 Likes on 816 Posts

Salt on its own is not a problem... if the roads are dry the salt is crystaline, winter has a lot lower humidity, at least here in Canada. if the roads are wet forget it .. saline solution is a dialectric. Salt crystals bouncing off your car will do nothing other than scratch it like a grain or sand will.

Just a different view point from the masses I guess.

I am not trying to diss anyones opinion but from a scientific point of view there will be no corrosion without moisture .. My motorcyle is 29 years old and has seen lots of winter days with salt on the road but no water ... not a spec of rust ...
Old 12-21-2006, 10:23 AM
Adrian
Addict
Lead Rennlist
Technical Advisor
Rennlist
Lifetime Member

Originally Posted by theiceman
Salt on its own is not a problem... if the roads are dry the salt is crystaline, winter has a lot lower humidity, at least here in Canada. if the roads are wet forget it .. saline solution is a dialectric. Salt crystals bouncing off your car will do nothing other than scratch it like a grain or sand will.

Just a different view point from the masses I guess.

I am not trying to diss anyones opinion but from a scientific point of view there will be no corrosion without moisture .. My motorcyle is 29 years old and has seen lots of winter days with salt on the road but no water ... not a spec of rust ...
On this side of the pond they only lay salt onto ice and snow, which when I last looked made the road wet especially when they start to melt.
Why would you put salt down on a dry road?
Ciao,
Adrian.
Old 12-21-2006, 10:24 AM
Adrian
Addict
Lead Rennlist
Technical Advisor
Rennlist
Lifetime Member

Originally Posted by mflinkenberg
You haven't been waiting for an opportunity to use that soapbox have you?
Yep.
I have seen far too many 911s up to and including 993s rusting in the past few years along with my own old 964. People need to be warned about salt mixed with snow and ice and winter driving.
When those bubbles and reddy brown stars start appearing through the paint it's too late.
Ciao,
Adrian.
Old 12-21-2006, 10:33 AM
theiceman
Team Owner

Typically waht happens here salt is layed on snow , which then melts, and runs off the road. the next thing you have is dry cl;ar roads with piles of snow at either side ( good for me as I would never have made it to College. ) Also salters in this Country are proactive and salt dry roads before bad weather comes to stop the buildup and black ice in the first place ( which is the deadliest of all ice 'cause you can't see it ).

Also on a few days when it does get warm the water evapourates due to ridiculously low humidity and the salt remains on the roads , your pants, your shoes etc.

We have learned in this country not to be "intimidated " by the salt hype , just understand what you are dealing with and how to react.

But definitely go with your comfort level.

That being said I did have a buddy in High scool whoes back bumper fell off . he thought he would be smart and kept salt in the trunk to weigh his car down instaed of sand, thinking the salt would help if he got stuck. Unfortunately he had a water leak in the trunk, and by March the back bumper fell right off .... wish we had digital cameras back then :-)
Old 12-21-2006, 11:12 AM
Adrian
Addict
Lead Rennlist
Technical Advisor
Rennlist
Lifetime Member

Originally Posted by theiceman
Typically waht happens here salt is layed on snow , which then melts, and runs off the road. the next thing you have is dry cl;ar roads with piles of snow at either side ( good for me as I would never have made it to College. ) Also salters in this Country are proactive and salt dry roads before bad weather comes to stop the buildup and black ice in the first place ( which is the deadliest of all ice 'cause you can't see it ).

Also on a few days when it does get warm the water evapourates due to ridiculously low humidity and the salt remains on the roads , your pants, your shoes etc.

We have learned in this country not to be "intimidated " by the salt hype , just understand what you are dealing with and how to react.

But definitely go with your comfort level.

That being said I did have a buddy in High scool whoes back bumper fell off . he thought he would be smart and kept salt in the trunk to weigh his car down instaed of sand, thinking the salt would help if he got stuck. Unfortunately he had a water leak in the trunk, and by March the back bumper fell right off .... wish we had digital cameras back then :-)
Do you drive your 911SC on salted winter roads?
Ciao,
Adrian.
Old 12-21-2006, 11:39 AM
Scott5
Instructor

I live in New York State near the great lakes - A few of our blizzard (lake effect snow storms) are bound to get onto your local news casts as special interest stories. So our roads can be salted from October to April....

As a result, I've had to learn to ignore salt worries. That said, I do try to stay out of the wet roads and wait for them to dry. It does take a toll I'm sure, but I'm under the impression it's less damaging than someone who lives next to the ocean where salty air moisture is everywhere...
Old 12-21-2006, 12:51 PM
theiceman
Team Owner

I sure do take my porsches out in the spring on dry roads and like stated above stay on dry roads which I am sure have salt on them. I don't drive my 911SC in the thick of winter as I run 20 w 50 and have high performance tires , and of course in the winter there is slush everywhere. But I am certainly not paranoid enough to wait until the street sweepers go by or lick the road to see if I taste salt. I drive my car because I understand chemistry , and don't depend on anecdotal strories.

Don't get me wrong Adrian I understnd your point and completely agree with you , if you drive your car through the snow and salt and put it in the garage , you are going to have HUGE problems. But people should not be driven by stories and fear mongering, but through logic.

PS neither my 87 944S or my 78SC has a spec of rust , other than the exchangers on the SC , but to be fair I have hd the SC a shorter life span than I did the 944.

I have said my piece . i do not want to turn this into a huge debate, I was just trying to give a different viewpoint.... now back to our regularly scheduled program.
Old 12-21-2006, 01:26 PM
RedShadow
Instructor

Originally Posted by Adrian
Why would you put salt down on a dry road?
Ciao,
Adrian.
I have to agree about that. Surely there's something better and less corrosive they could use? Must be an old city council deal with some salt stockpiler they can't contractually break!
Old 12-21-2006, 02:14 PM
Nape75'911T
Instructor

Default Heard on the news the other night

That they will lay down over 120 million TONS of salt just in the greater Toronto area this winter........and a large portion of that will wind up in the great lakes.....nice.
Old 12-21-2006, 02:27 PM
theiceman
Team Owner

there ya go .... would you like some fries with your salt ?
Old 12-21-2006, 08:30 PM
Daniel Dudley
Rennlist Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Having grown up in New England, you couldn't pay me to drive an older car on salted roads. If it builds up on your headlight buckets etc, it will be the gift that keeps on giving. I have lost few to old man winter. Not my SC, please !

Quick Reply: Salty roads...