Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Intercity Lines, LLC

Salty roads...

Search this Thread

Old 12-21-2006, 09:06 PM
Jay H
Drifting

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

A co-worker has a Harley motorcycle. He drove it a few times while it was "dry" last winter. He didn't wipe the salt dust off the bike in a few areas. When condensation formed on the bike due to some warmer weather, these areas rusted pretty severely according to him.

So, just because it's dry, doesn't mean you couldn't have future corrosion due to salt.

My first 911 (an '86 coupe) was winter driven by it's first owner here in Milwaukee. After 10 years, you should have seen all the paint bubbles from the zinc plating sacrificing itself to save the metal behind. Once the paint bubbles "popped" and the zinc, which turns to white powder, flaked away, it was raw, exposed metal right beneath. Then, that rusted pretty quickly. My '86 was a mess. It probably would have cost thousands of dollars for rust removal, restoring the zinc (if you could!) and then a fresh repaint.

The car sold quickly when I got rid of it, but I had to sell it cheap due to the cosmetic repairs it needed.

To each his/her own. It's your car, do what you want with it. However, keep in mind you may not see the salt damage immediately, but after time it'll catch up. And, they just don't make these beloved 911's anymore...

Jay
90 964
84 3.2
Old 12-22-2006, 06:17 AM
RedShadow
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

In the end I had no choice and drove her late last night. Interesting experience. I don’t think there was too much grit on the roads but I’ll give a thorough clean today (going to be a cold experience). The roads were pretty empty around the M25 and I took the opportunity to have a little “fun”. Got very foggy in places and they turned off the streetlamps so it felt hairy at times. I thought I’d live dangerously and switch off the headlights too as I like living on the edge (joking). Overall she behaved extraordinarily well. The heater did it’s job, no problems with demisting she pulled like a train. I had a blast. God I love my 911.
Old 12-22-2006, 07:32 PM
theiceman
Team Owner

Received 1,142 Likes on 816 Posts

actually turning off your headlights iis a bit of an adrenaline rush :-)

Quick Reply: Salty roads...