Notices
911 Forum 1964-1989
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Intercity Lines, LLC

any ideas as to the approx. value of this car???

Search this Thread

Old 02-01-2002, 02:05 PM
R. Santore
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Post any ideas as to the approx. value of this car???

Hey guys, trying to get a decent idea of my car's worth.. Here in KS, its hard to find a decent appraisal for insurance purposes, and any help you can give would be great. The car is:

1974 Porsche 911 Carrera #95 of 528, tangerine color, car is in overall good shape but has been raced for over 20 years. Engine is a 3.0liter turbo with monster intercooler, b&b header&dual 4" outlet, bigger cam, compression bump, K27 turbo, 3.3liter tail, Fikse FM-10 17" wheels with yoko avs sports, momo racing seats, roll bar, brake bias adjuster, bremtek racing brakes, RS body kit, and some other things i'm forgetting at the moment. I know this car is worth nothing to some and alot to others, i'm just trying to get an idea as to general worth.. any help would be appreciated!!
Rob
Old 02-01-2002, 02:24 PM
James Achard
Pro

Rob,
If you are a PCA member you can get an appraisal from them. There is an online form on there website. There is a place to fill out a description of your vehicle there. Once you fill it out it takes about two weeks to get the appraisal back in the mail. I did it with my '72 since my insurance company did not belive me when I said how much the car is worth. I have since walked into their office with the appraisal and now it's covered. This way, heaven forbid anything happens, it's covered. Good luck and I hope this helps.

James
Old 02-01-2002, 06:02 PM
richard glickel.
Drifting

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts
R.

Jim's advice is right on the money. I received an appraisal a few years ago through PCA and now need to do another (new engine). It's a great help.

Richard
'87 Carrera
Old 02-04-2002, 12:21 PM
Tom Tweed
Addict
Rennlist
Lifetime Member

Received 22 Likes on 13 Posts
I'm afraid PCA valuation would not be possible in this instance, as what Rob has described is a highly modified race car. The PCA valuation is designed to give a range of values for a given (stock) model year and condition, with some consideration of factory options, but it specifically excludes racing and "limited production" models from its database (both of which this is). See <a href="http://www.pca.org/members/valuation.html" target="_blank">http://www.pca.org/members/valuation.html</a>

With a car like this, it would be very difficult to appraise without a detailed inspection. Much depends on its current condition, i.e., how fresh is the drivetrain, how much body damage has been sustained over the years and how was it repaired, what spares come with the package, etc. If the car has any significant race history, it can raise the value. If I had to take a WAG based on the description given ("overall good shape"), I would say the car could be worth a minimum of $25-30K if it is in race-ready condition and the engine is fresh.
Old 02-04-2002, 12:29 PM
James Achard
Pro

Tom and Rob,
Old 02-04-2002, 12:32 PM
James Achard
Pro

Rob and Tom, While the PCA appraisal is not Race car specific, It will give you a ballpark in which to work from. I have a modified car too and I got a PCA appraisal as well as one from my mechanic who has a very good reputation in my area. This way, you have two scources to back you up in case of an accident.

James

Quick Reply: any ideas as to the approx. value of this car???