Sponsored by: Intercity Lines, LLC

Simples Question for '88....

Search this Thread

Old 12-12-2006, 03:43 PM
RogerB
Track Day

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

CE?

I checked the FAQ, but I couldn't find this designation. Is it just a trim package or is there more to it?
Old 12-12-2006, 04:20 PM
Luus
Pro

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

PorscheMD is correct, it should say DEFROST and have two arrows one pointing up and one pointing down. these arrows are printed under ON and OFF. I will try and post a pic of mine later
Old 12-12-2006, 04:28 PM
imcarthur
Addict
Rennlist Member

Luus

When you are taking pictures, also photo the red paddles & the fan control console. I want to update my heater troubleshooting pages on Rennlist with stuff for manual heat too. Right now it's all for Autoheat.

email cab87@rogers.com

Thanks

Ian
Old 12-12-2006, 04:45 PM
Jay H
Drifting

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by RogerB
CE?

I checked the FAQ, but I couldn't find this designation. Is it just a trim package or is there more to it?
I'm sure our CE owner's will give more info, but in 1988, there was a special option package available in very limited quantities (300 units?) to signify the 250,000th 911 built. Seats were embroidered with Ferry's signature, special carpet color and leather color were used (very nice stuff!), color matched 15" rims, dash plaque, unique paint color, model delete and short shift kit (if I remember correctly - holler if this isn't right!) were part of this option package.

It was essentially a trim package and there were no performance enhancing items included.

They are stunning cars all cleaned up! I'll go out on a limb and suggest that as these cars age and fewer of them are around, this option package will continue to bring a slight premium over a more standard '88 car.

Jay
90 964
84 3.2
Old 12-12-2006, 06:49 PM
Edgy01
Poseur
Rennlist Member

Received 235 Likes on 128 Posts

What you're looking for is the simple little trim piece that is clear plastic that has been silkscreened black in most places, showing the positions for the levers. It is a part also shared with the 914 automobiles, it you want to check there as well. It should be listed in Performance Products' catalog.
Old 12-12-2006, 08:22 PM
A4
Instructor

Jay has it right. There's many a discussion on Pelican about the model. Mine has the sig seats and obviously the wheels. The Diamond Blue Metallic is an awesome paint that changes with the light and angle, very cool.

The only issue I have is that the PO drilled a bunch of holes in the decklid for a turbo tail though. Cleaning it up now!

Thanks for all the input on the switch!
Old 12-13-2006, 08:47 AM
KC911
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by Jay H
I'm sure our CE owner's will give more info, but in 1988, there was a special option package available in very limited quantities (300 units?) to signify the 250,000th 911 built. Seats were embroidered with Ferry's signature, special carpet color and leather color were used (very nice stuff!), color matched 15" rims, dash plaque, unique paint color, model delete and short shift kit (if I remember correctly - holler if this isn't right!) were part of this option package.

It was essentially a trim package and there were no performance enhancing items included.

They are stunning cars all cleaned up! I'll go out on a limb and suggest that as these cars age and fewer of them are around, this option package will continue to bring a slight premium over a more standard '88 car.

Jay
90 964
84 3.2
Jay, I always find myself agreeing with your opinions on car evaluations, and once again, you're pretty much spot on with your '88 Commemorative Edition description. If anyone is interested, do a search on 'Commemorative Edition' over on pelican and you'll find several threads discussing these models over the past few years. The 300 total would be for the number of coupes IIRC (approx. 900 total including cabs & targas). They are, as you describe, a 'cosmetic package' with the exception of the short shift kit, but the Diamond Blue Metallic paint must be seen in various light conditions to be appreciated. All of the ones that I have seen have been really nice examples of a G50 and therefore have been priced at slight (or more) premium. Other than being a G50 Carrera (I personally have seen a few), I don't consider the CE to be 'rare' at all, therefore, I had no qualms about doing all kinds of tasteful (yet reversable, for the most part), performance upgrades, etc. to my own car. I wouldn't trade mine for anything...

Keith
'88 CE coupe

ps: Oops, I didnt' read down far enough to A4's post before typing...
Old 12-13-2006, 09:00 AM
KC911
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by A4
The only issue I have is that the PO drilled a bunch of holes in the decklid for a turbo tail though. Cleaning it up now!...
I have a spare Carrera decklid hanging in my garage I'm not going to use if you're interested in one with no holes. As I was looking for a Carrera, I 'thought' I wanted a tail, so I purchase a spare lid later (used, in perfect ondition, but not D.Blue) and new tail. The 'clean lines' of a tailless car grew on me, and I never went that route though...

Keith
Old 12-13-2006, 10:14 AM
A4
Instructor

KC911, thanks! I'll send PM!
Old 12-13-2006, 11:26 AM
Jay H
Drifting

I'm thinkin' too that someday when these cars are 40 years old or so, a set of mint signature seats will be bringing a pretty penny on eBay (if eBay is around then!) for restoration purposes...!

For those following along at home, this '88 model is sometimes called the "Signature Edition" as well, causing even more confusion with the term "CE" and then mixed in with the '89 Anniversary Edition.

I passed on a CE model back in 2000 when I was looking for a concours car. The dealer wanted $32,000 for that car back then with 50,000 miles and they weren't budging on the price (it sold quickly too). It was corroding in places (corrosion and concours competitions don't mix) and according to the records the original selling dealer yanked the color matched 15" rims and put on regular black 16" Fuchs (for an additional charge of course). I just thought that was odd to yank the special rims right away when the car was new and put on plain old Fuchs. That poor sap paid for the color matched rims with the CE option and then had to pay again for 16" Fuchs...

Last edited by Jay H; 12-13-2006 at 11:49 AM.
Old 12-13-2006, 11:45 AM
KC911
Burning Brakes

Jay, adding even more to the confusion... at least one published book (and also a european web site), mistakenly refers to the '88s an Anniversary Editions, and in Europe, they are sometimes called "Jubilee Editions" (based, I think on the dash medallion, which I don't have on my car). You bring up a good point about the parts though....My seats & wheels are in great condition... Hmm...lighter seats, 16" wheels (better tire selection)...damnit Jay!
Old 12-13-2006, 11:52 AM
Jay H
Drifting

Keith, I too remember that publication that has it wrong! Keep those seats and rims...! Or, at least store them if you ever replace stuff for lighter weight or better tire choices...

Porsche could have kept it more simple by calling it just the "Signature Edition", but that doesn't really reflect the purpose of the special option code that "celebrated" the fact of 250,000 911's being built...

Ugh. I feel sorry for some of the new people getting into the 911 thing and being confused. I know I was confused on these two models ('88 CE [or Signature or Jubiliee!] and '89 Anniversary) when I started all this stuff.

Hopefully this post will help in the search functions that go on 'behind the scenes" over the years.
Old 12-13-2006, 12:29 PM
ked
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

"I feel sorry for some of the new people getting into the 911 thing and being confused."

Which is why a few books, like Pete's, Frere's, Ludvigsen's EWE (if you have the coin) and "Porsche 911 Red Book" are so useful for careful buyers.
Old 12-13-2006, 12:33 PM
g-50cab
Drifting

Received 50 Likes on 36 Posts

Diamond Blue rocks -
Old 12-13-2006, 12:41 PM
Jay Laifman
Pro

Originally Posted by Jay H
The item in question is the light that indicates which way to pull on the heat levers for allowing more heat into the cabin . ... This is not aftermarket and was a stock/factory item from 1974(?) to 1989 for cars with manual heating. 90 964, 84 3.2
Well, I can attest that my 73.5 has it too.

Quick Reply: Simples Question for '88....