Sponsored by: Intercity Lines, LLC

Need help to plug holes!

Search this Thread

Old 02-01-2002, 10:55 AM
Burt Goodwin
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question Need help to plug holes!

Just got a nice '87 Carrera coupe. It had aftermkt. Cibie rally lights mounted on top surface of bumper. I removed the lights for aesthetic reasons and now have two 3/8 in. diam. holes, surrounded by small areas of paint damage from the brackets. Any ideas on plugs or any other way to fix this? I hate looking at the holes! Thanks.
Old 02-01-2002, 11:29 AM
Sean Hamilton
Instructor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
G'day Burt,
Mine had 'em mounted through the bonnet! by the previous owner. Nothing short of a pro body shop repair would fix those nasty $$$$ uglies.
If they were as yours are, through the top of the bumper, I'd do as your thinking and DIY install a couple of hard plastic domed trim/body plugs. Probably the ones with a textured surface finish and I'd spray pack colour match them to the bumper colour or just as they are in satin black - to get out of it cheap. To the lay person they'd be almost unnoticed, as if they were meant to be there.
Other than that...... it'd be a body shop repair.

Cheers,
Sean.
1980 Hellblaumetallic SC Targa.
Old 02-01-2002, 04:10 PM
steve911
Addict
Rennlist Member

Burt--
there's an outfit that I've seen advertised in Pano that might be able to help.

<a href="http://www.bumperplugs.com" target="_blank">www.bumperplugs.com</a>

no affiliation (and I've never used them) so I can't vouch for them, but thought I'd throw it out there.
Old 02-01-2002, 04:25 PM
Burt Goodwin
Instructor

Steve911...I've talked to Eric, the BumperPlug person, and he's trying to come up with a fix...but not yet. Thanks for your reply.
Old 02-04-2002, 02:49 AM
Doug n Terri
Addict
Rennlist Member

Hmmm, do these have a captured nut under the surface? Or is it open? If you had a method to place small round head unslotted screw, similar to carriage bolts, painted to match the bumper, they would blend in quite nicely. No one will notice as there is not a color deviation to draw the eye to these spots. You, on the other hand, will spot these bumps from a twelve story building. Such is such with our cars - we know all their flaws at a microscopic level. Good luck Burt -
Old 02-04-2002, 10:38 AM
Cary E
Instructor

Received 6 Likes on 2 Posts
Follow Sean's lead.

Go to the hardware/autoparts/auto body supply store. On the rack that has cable clamps, shrink tubing and such. Should be numerous sizes of black hole plugs. Easy fix for the short term.

But, body shop if you want it done right.

Quick Reply: Need help to plug holes!