Sponsored by: Intercity Lines, LLC

911 Firing Problem

Search this Thread

Old 12-09-2006, 01:50 PM
pingman
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Unhappy 911 Firing Problem

My Baby quite and had to be towed home, TWICE! I have changed the fuel pump, old one was fine, the coil, both the crankshaft and flywheel sensors,
the rotor button and distributer cap. I have voltage to the coil (12.4v). The ecm was put on another car and it cranked fine. I have read other posts about the dme. is this the same as the ecm? Does anyone have an idea what I should try next? The nearest dealer is 125m away, the nearest mech is 55m away, so I am trying to do this myself. I have twice the tools of any mechanic but am only halfassed! ha ha. How about plug wires? I believe these are the originals. They are cracked. By the way baby is an '87 911 targa model, 120,000 or so miles, with an alarm system that I never use. Any help would be appreciated and yes i am new to rennlist and on my third Porsche. Thanks, Mark
Old 12-09-2006, 03:44 PM
madmmac
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Welcome...and as required, you need to post a pic of your car.

Try a new DME relay, about $30.00 and it is located under your drivers seat. A very common problem with the Motronic cars and very easy to replace. If it corrects your problem, buy another for a spare in your glove box.
Old 12-09-2006, 04:20 PM
Daniel Dudley
Rennlist Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

If you can see that you have cracked plug wires, and you haven't replaced them, you might want to, even if you need a DME. Half the ignition problems I have seen on Porsches have been due to old plug wires.

It only gets worse.

Quick Reply: 911 Firing Problem