Notices
911 Forum 1964-1989
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Intercity Lines, LLC

Are the Gremlins playing Frisbee with my dohickee?

Search this Thread

Old 02-01-2002, 09:34 AM
Old Goat
5th Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Post Are the Gremlins playing Frisbee with my dohickee?

On my 86 Carrera there is a round disk with two slots in it located between the climate controls and the steering column. I went to start my car this morning a found mine had disappeared. Can anyone tell me what it is, and where can I get a replacement. Thanks in advance.
Old 02-01-2002, 11:25 AM
993chaz
Burning Brakes

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I have an 86 coupe also, however nothing between the climate controls and the steering wheel.??
Can you post a picture?
Old 02-01-2002, 12:03 PM
Old Goat
5th Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I have no way of getting a picture on this board at this time. I have climate control heating system and believe this may be part of that system, as it has a rubber hose attached to the disk. Thanks for your reply.
Old 02-01-2002, 02:04 PM
993chaz
Burning Brakes

HHHHMMMMMMMMM!!!!!!!
Old 02-01-2002, 03:14 PM
Stephen Masraum
Racer

Did it leave a hole in your dash?? Do you have the automatic heating/climate control? (a **** that runs from 0-9 between the seats rather than two levers and a **** from 0-3) If if the answer to both of those questions is yes then it's probably the hole for the temp sensor for the automatic heating.
Old 03-29-2002, 06:59 AM
Mark McClure
Track Day

Hi,

After just virtually rediesigning this in my 83 targa I can give your the answer. It is the intake for the interior heat senros sniffer motor. The disk I belive was only on the 3.2's and should have a hose running from it to a small motor. In the top of the motor is a heat sensor. The heater works on the differential between interior sensor and exterior sensor (located in flapper box, left rear. The automatic control should then vary the opening of the flapper boxes until the temp setting on the dial is reached and maintained. Simple Ehhhhhhh!

Cheers

Mark.....
Old 03-30-2002, 10:01 PM
ron mcatee
Rennlist Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Old Goat, Mcclure from Australia is correct. I happened to find out sort of painfully that there is a little fan motor under the dash that draws ambient air and ultimately regulates the temperature. Be careful not to put your finger up under the dash near the fan while you are driving. It will startle the hell out of you.

88 Carrera
Spider911

Quick Reply: Are the Gremlins playing Frisbee with my dohickee?