Sponsored by: Intercity Lines, LLC

Ignition timing 911 SC

Search this Thread

Old 12-07-2006, 08:10 PM
Eroisin
7th Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Ignition timing 911 SC

I had to pull out the distributor on my 911 SC to replace the magnetic pickup cable.

How do I set the ignition timing after removing the distributor. I though I had lined no 1 on TDC before pulling it out - but it may have moved a gear or two when I was replacing it.

Tks in advance

Locky

Old 12-07-2006, 08:33 PM
JV911
Drifting

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Eroisin
How do I set the ignition timing after removing the distributor.
very carefully!

if its out it may backfire and blow your airbox up, which is what happened to me the other day
Old 12-07-2006, 08:59 PM
Peter Zimmermann
Rennlist Member

Received 15 Likes on 13 Posts

Difficult. This is a basic procedure that requires extreme care + some knowledge. First you must be sure that the engine is on Z1, Cyl. #1 (not Cyl #4!). Then you can install the distributor with the #1 mark on its housing pointing approximately toward the trailing (rear) edge of the alternator housing strap. Once you're this far you must push the distributor into place while watching where the rotor is pointing. It will change position as the distributor shaft grabs a gear on the crankshaft, so you must anticipate where it will move to as the distributor seats into the crankcase. When the distributor is all the way in the firing tip of the rotor must point toward the housing mark, which should point in the general direction of the alternator strap. Look for the washer mark on the distributor housing and snug down the nut and washer so it covers the mark. You probably have it right if you can put on the cap without struggling with the plug wires. Start the car and set the timing with a timing light according to the instructions on the decal on the underside of your engine lid. Your alternative is to have the car towed to a shop...
Pete
Old 12-07-2006, 09:09 PM
dsmith
Racer

Originally Posted by Peter Zimmermann
Difficult. This is a basic procedure that requires extreme care + some knowledge. First you must be sure that the engine is on Z1, Cyl. #1 (not Cyl #4!).
Pete
I'm guessing this is why you should set the engine to TDC #1 before pulling the distributor, then follow your dizzy orientation instructions for the install? Is it that easy?
Thanks,
David
Old 12-08-2006, 04:31 PM
Peter Zimmermann
Rennlist Member

Received 15 Likes on 13 Posts

LOL! Yes indeed, the very first step is to put the engine on Cyl #1! With no distributor in the engine an easy way to know if you're on #1 or #4 is to pull off the left intake valve cover. When the crank pulley is on Z1 Cyl #1 intake rocker will have clearance, or it won't. If it has clearance the engine is on #1. Egad, I've given myself a headache...
Pete
Old 12-08-2006, 07:46 PM
Eroisin
7th Gear

Ok - have done everything as described. Although I took off the LH exhaust valve cover (instead of the intake) and checked it had clearance - (only on TDC every second revolution?). I replaced the distributor and the rotor with the arm pointing towards a mark on the rim of the distributor - this mark corresponds to a mark on #1 plug connection. But engine still won't start. So far I have replaced the CDI with an MSD and the cable to the magnetic pickup. I can manually cause a spark with the MSD (on breaking green & violet). But when I crank engine with HT lead disconnected and left close to earth there is no spark. How can I check the operation of the magnetic pickup? iI it repairable?

Tks

Locky

Quick Reply: Ignition timing 911 SC