Bosch European H4 Help

Search this Thread

Old 02-01-2002, 03:41 AM
Carrera Steve
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Post Bosch European H4 Help

Hello All:
I was hoping to get some help on the installation of some Bosch Euro H4's on my 84 Carrera. I inspected the units and they seem to have the trim ring/lens and reflector all attached together into a single unit. How does this fit into the standard light buckets in the fenders? Do the sealed beam buckets get removed for these units, and if so, are these attached to the coachwork only by the bottom retainer screw and top flange? Seems a bit flimsy for such a expensive light! The trim ring seems to be held in place by a series of spring clips. Any help would be greatly appreciated!
Old 02-01-2002, 10:54 AM
BER
Pro

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
The H4 headlight assembly should fit into headlight bucket without any modifications. The H4 assembly attaches at the bottom with a screw and at the top with a mounting tab. It sounds flimsy, but if done properly you will have no problems.

The OEM headlights are removed by taking off the outer bizel and then several screws are all that hold the assembly in the headlight bucket. It been many years since I converted my 911's to H1's, so I'm a little fuzzy on the exact details. I think you will find it a fairly simple process.

When you have the OEM headlights out, you may want to take the time to clean out the headlight buckets and clean up the electrical connectors. H1/H4 bulbs are prone to burn out quickly if you have dirty connections, especially ground connections. As a rule, I remove my H1's every couple of years and clean all the electrical connections and polish the lens and reflectors.

Not sure about your description of the trim rings on the H4's. Are they chrome or black? My H1's have a chrome bizel around the lens; a decorative painted ring then snaps over the bizel. Many owners paint the ring to match the body color.

Bruce
Old 02-01-2002, 11:57 AM
Chris Martin
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
The bottem screw holds in the H4 just as describe above. The standard units are held in place with 4 screws (if I remember correctly) per light, once you remove the trim ring.

I suggest installed a new fender to headlight seal while you have it apart and take your time and adjust the lights properly. It took me some time to get them right, but it's worht it. Not only will you get all the performance from the new lights, you wont make enemies with oncoming traffic and the folks in front of you in traffic.

Best of luck

Chris
Old 02-01-2002, 04:06 PM
steve911
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Check out the Pelican tech article at the link below - it has pretty detailed instructions that should help on your H4 installation.

<a href="http://www.pelicanparts.com/techarticles/mult_h4_headlamps/mult_h4_headlamps.htm" target="_blank">http://www.pelicanparts.com/techarticles/mult_h4_headlamps/mult_h4_headlamps.htm</a>

Quick Reply: Bosch European H4 Help