calipers identification need help

Search this Thread

Old 12-05-2006, 11:45 PM
am
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Question calipers identification need help

I wanted to order kits to rebuild my calipers and new pads too but the guy told me there were two kinds of calipers S or M , how do i do to identify what kind i have ?
Old 12-06-2006, 04:46 PM
ebsalem
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

If they're magnetic 'M'

If not 'S'
Old 12-06-2006, 07:35 PM
am
Addict
Rennlist Member

Thank's , simple but could you explain me the difference ?
Old 12-06-2006, 08:00 PM
madmmac
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

M calipers are the stock, steel calipers for 911’s through 75. Caliper mounting bolt spacing on strut is about 3 inches.

S calipers are made out of aluminum and are bigger calipers used on the 911S and ‘S’ option cars through 77. Bolt spacing on strut is about 3.5 inches.
Old 12-06-2006, 10:02 PM
theiceman
Team Owner

Received 1,111 Likes on 794 Posts

I guess he means if a magnet will stick to them they are the steel ones, if it doesn't they are alluminum..
Old 12-07-2006, 12:40 PM
Peter Zimmermann
Rennlist Member

Received 15 Likes on 13 Posts

Just a thought... Because the fastener system between front ball joint and strut on your year car (1970) is unreliable, this situation is often corrected on modified cars by using later model (SC, etc., struts). If this is the case your front calipers will be "A" type. Check the bottom of your front struts, do they have a pinch bolt design just above the ball joint, or do they have a "pin" with a lock nut? If your car has red struts, or re-worked Sportomatic struts that now use shock inserts, they probably started life with aluminum "S" calipers. Because of repair difficulties, many of those calipers have been replaced with "A" calipers. Aluminum "S" calipers are extremely valuable, but the inner piston housings often have deep wear grooves, which require special machined inserts to repair. If your car has green (Bilstein) struts they will almost always be fitted with "A" calipers.
Pete
Old 12-19-2006, 10:05 PM
am
Addict
Rennlist Member

Thank you guys for these precious infos and sorry for the delay to answer , i did'nt touch the car during the last weeks
If i rely on your informations my calipers are the M type but i'm kind of confused with the A type possibility so i sent pix.
Attached Images    

Quick Reply: calipers identification need help