Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Intercity Lines, LLC

Red lever - Fresh Air wire has kink...

Search this Thread

Old 12-03-2006, 11:21 PM
ajmarton
Rennlist Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default Red lever - Fresh Air wire has kink...

My red lever on the dash fresh air head was stuck. I tracked the problem down to a severe bend in the wire right before the insulation (by the head unit right under the dash). I lubricated everything (as long as I had removed the cover in the luggage compartment earlier) and then tried to unbend the wire so it would be straight. I thought I was successful when I noticed that it went back to the bent position after some testing of the ****. Am I totally screwed with the only option of installing a new wire? That looks like a difficult task and I was wondering if anyone had any suggestions on any fixes other than a wire replacement.
Old 12-04-2006, 12:45 AM
Dan Cobb
The Ancient One
Rennlist Lifetime Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Sadly there is sometimes only 1 way to skin a cat.
It shouldn't be that big of a deal, I did it once on my 66 Malibu. I used a wire that was originally from my 74 911.
The hardest part about the project was bending the end to make it fit into the hole on the lever. I would have clipped the other end, but it had a loop in it and I figured that was narder to duplicate.
I ended up getting it right the second time, and repositioning the cable housing made it work with the slightly shorter cable.
You could always just buy a new (used) heater/fan dash assembly with the cables still attached from a junked car or one that is now dedicated to track life.
+++

Quick Reply: Red lever - Fresh Air wire has kink...