Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Intercity Lines, LLC

Question re rev limiter

Search this Thread

Old 12-06-2006, 10:35 PM
theiceman
Team Owner

Received 1,177 Likes on 844 Posts

well if the weather is great , get her done and enjoy .... gotta go out to my freezing garage and take the tail off for a refurb.
Old 12-06-2006, 10:56 PM
JV911
Drifting

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by theiceman
well if the weather is great , get her done and enjoy .... gotta go out to my freezing garage and take the tail off for a refurb.
i hope its heated! i see its -10c there today (your thursday night)

just another +28c day here
Old 12-06-2006, 11:10 PM
spence88mph
Rennlist Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

sorry to hear that, I've only had mine for 4 days and I've spent 1k on it! I'm not too porsche savy yet but I take it I need to get a valve on mine or is it an issue on the earlier cars? I know the 964s do it but I read you just put it all back together, I'm still trying to undrestand why an engine drop is in order... anyway good luck mate
Old 12-06-2006, 11:16 PM
theiceman
Team Owner

Received 1,177 Likes on 844 Posts

The CIS air box is basically a plastic intake manifold ... I think the only person who could do it in the car would be the mechanics equivalent to a gynecologist...

PS no heated garage .. in fact i woke up yesterday and the furnace had died.. so the P car has had to wait while my wife gets me to put the heat back on in the house..
Old 12-06-2006, 11:36 PM
JV911
Drifting

Originally Posted by spence88mph
sorry to hear that, I've only had mine for 4 days and I've spent 1k on it! I'm not too porsche savy yet but I take it I need to get a valve on mine or is it an issue on the earlier cars? I know the 964s do it but I read you just put it all back together, I'm still trying to undrestand why an engine drop is in order... anyway good luck mate
congrats on taking delivery! i noticed the new pic in the avatar...looks great.

backfiring is aparently a CIS related issue...does the carrera have CIS?

as ice said the airbox is basically an intake manifold. the location of the nuts that bolt it to the engine are a bugger to get to. with the right tools it can be done without taking the engine out but in the end its easier to drop the engine (esp for a porsche mechanic whose dropped 100's of engines)
Old 12-07-2006, 12:55 AM
spence88mph
Rennlist Member

thanks mate, I'm so in love with it!

I'm such a newbe to 911s, it pains me as I really like to know every detail and work on my cars and bikes, so not sure about the CIS, from what I've seen it looks like a metal intake, unlike the 91+ 964/993s that have the black plastic intake? All I know, I just read on the 964 forum that they can backfire and the airbox comes loose.
Old 12-07-2006, 01:43 AM
JV911
Drifting

I'm such a newbe to 911s, it pains me as I really like to know every detail and work on my cars and bikes, so not sure about the CIS, from what I've seen it looks like a metal intake, unlike the 91+ 964/993s that have the black plastic intake? All I know, I just read on the 964 forum that they can backfire and the airbox comes loose.
my airbox has actually split in two and cant be repaired

just got off hte phone from my mechanic

no new airboxes in Aus. one from germany will be 2 weeks so sourcing a 2nd hand one.

oh and your carrera doesnt have CIS
Old 12-07-2006, 01:44 AM
Droops83
Three Wheelin'

Received 79 Likes on 67 Posts

Spence, your '88 Carrera 3.2 does not have CIS, it is Bosch Motronic EFI, which began for the '84 model year and the 3.2 engine. So you don't have to worry about your airbox blowing up at least . . . .

I would not recommend trying to do the job w/ the engine in, I have seen it done (albeit with the engine lowered a bit), but it is not a good idea. Besides, there's lots of stuff you can replace while the engine is out: oil pressure switch, breather cover gasket, breather/vacuum hoses, thermostat o-ring, bellcrank bushings, and not to mention the clutch if need be. I can see how it would be intimidating for a newbie to drop a 911 engine, but in the world of engine drops, old 911s are among the easier ones to do. Good luck!

---

Chris Andropoulos
Schneider Autohaus
Santa Barbara, CA
Old 12-12-2006, 06:33 PM
JV911
Drifting

picked up the car last night and its running better than ever.

new airbox, leads, plugs, points, dizzy cap, oil & filters, oil level and pressure senders, tune-up and everything has been adjusted ie clutch and accelerator (wasnt getting full throttle before!)

feels like a new car with noticeably more power esp above 4000rpm and smoother acceleration...it pulls strong to redline.

Old 12-12-2006, 06:36 PM
Edgy01
Poseur
Rennlist Member

Received 245 Likes on 136 Posts

Cars of that vintage always perform better after this sort of replacement,--MANY air leaks were affecting the tune prior to that.
Old 12-12-2006, 06:37 PM
spence88mph
Rennlist Member

Thanks for the info droops

great stuff Jeremy, sounds like it may have been a good thing!

Is there any more pics of your car posted?
Old 12-12-2006, 06:47 PM
JV911
Drifting

Originally Posted by Edgy01
Cars of that vintage always perform better after this sort of replacement,--MANY air leaks were affecting the tune prior to that.
yes, aparently all the rubber seals around the airbox etc were perished

Thanks for the info droops
great stuff Jeremy, sounds like it may have been a good thing!
Is there any more pics of your car posted?
very good...but expensive

send me a pm with your email address and i'll send you some photos
Old 12-13-2006, 02:21 PM
trevor townsend
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Since you are the lucky owner of an '88 you have no problem here. It is related to pre'83 cars most of which have been modified as it was a very common problem.
30c here today blue skies. Poor buggers up north unable to drive for 4 months of the year!
Cheers
TT

Old 12-13-2006, 05:01 PM
BHMSC
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Blown airbox

When my airbox blew up (luckily in the garage rather than miles from home) I replaced it with the engine in the car (unbolting the rear motor mounts to drop it down a bit). It required much time and patience (something I don't have much of) plus some questionable language and a few band-aids. If you have the proper setup for an engine drop (as the shop should) it probably is easier that way. If they drop the engine, I'd recommend replacing the O-ring for the engine-mounted oil thermostat at the same time (something I wish I'd done since it leaks a bit) because it's just about impossible to get to with the engine in the car.

One thing I noticed is that the design of the "late model"? airbox is different. Rather than having the cold-start valve just squirt fuel into the box, there's a "manifold" of little tubes which, I think, is intended to distribute the fuel to the cylinders rather than letting it puddle in the bottom of the box (a possible cause of the blow-ups?). That plus the pop valve should go a long way toward avoiding subsequent blown airboxes.

Unfortunately, some of us have to learn things the hard way.

Quick Reply: Question re rev limiter